Correct Humidity?

Turion1973

Chirping
Mar 22, 2018
Ada, Oklahoma
I just got a new Nurture Right 360 and it tells me to keep the humidity at 50% until lockdown and move to 70%. I have had this thing going for 2 days not most of the time it stays around 50% but changes as the day goes from 46% to 50% but on the average around 49%. I'm no rocket scientist or biologist but I just don't see how this much science can go into hatching eggs. I know that the temp is the most crucial thing, but I know there are not a bunch of hens running around with hydrometers and thermometers in nature checking their eggs status. LOL My brother is a very experienced egg hatcher and he tells me not to sweat the humidity and just make sure the temp is at 99.5. Although he told me to make sure there is water in the incubator and on the last three days of the cycle, make sure that the humidity is at least 65% or more to allow the chicks to hatch without the membrane drying out. I would like a second opinion not to offend my brother, so could someone tell me what they think is the proper humidity?

He's pretty much right.

You can dry hatch chicken eggs (no added humidity) but it's generally not recommended. Try to keep it between 40 and 60 and make sure your air cells are on track if you're not experienced. And then increase on lockdown--65% or better. During lockdown, the hen stays on the nest so that humidity's trapped under her. You're just doing that artificially with the incubator.

aircell.gif

EDT: And welcome to BYC!

Thank you for the reply. I kind of figured that the instructions on the incubator were a little to scientific for the process. I have three fertilized Bantam Silkie eggs arriving today in the mail. and I just wanted to make sure of the humidity. Also, the article you sent is a very good article.

I ordered my eggs online which states there is a 50/50 chance they will hatch. My brother told me that he thinks that's a little high of a chance. He told me 30% hatch chance sounds more reasonable. I myself are thinking 50/50 would be the better call. Sometimes I have to call ole brothers advice inaccurate, but he has been hatching for over 20 years. Although, I don't observe the type hatching he used to do as an agreeable hobby since he gained most of his experience in the Chicken Fighting business. Although, the law put a stop to that and now he just hatches for poultry and he helps some of the FFA kids raise show chickens.
He's pretty much right.

You can dry hatch chicken eggs (no added humidity) but it's generally not recommended. Try to keep it between 40 and 60 and make sure your air cells are on track if you're not experienced. And then increase on lockdown--65% or better. During lockdown, the hen stays on the nest so that humidity's trapped under her. You're just doing that artificially with the incubator.

aircell.gif

EDT: And welcome to BYC!
that

He may be right about your shipped egg chances too, depends on how they were packaged and handled during shipping. Did you check that the air cells are not detached?

Doesn't matter why he hatched, 20 years experience is nothing to sneeze at, if he had good hatches. Sounds like sibling rivalry ;)

I incubate at between 30-50% for the first 18 days,
tracking air cell sizes as shown in the diagram above,
then 70-80% after day 18.

Welcome to BYC...enjoy your hatching!
Lots of info here to read over, you'll learn a lot.

Well I got the eggs and I candled them. A little worried because all I saw was hundreds of looking little air bubbles in the eggs. Let the egg sit upright for 24 hours and no difference. Eggs are incubator now so I will see what happens.

The reason we worry about all the different factors is because we're going to the effort to do it ourselves and we have the ability to create optimum conditions, so why wouldn't we want to do that? Sure, you can just chuck some eggs in and keep them kind of where they should be. Just like you can find yourself a broody hen and just chuck them under her and see what you get. Personally, if I'm going to the effort (and trying to make some money off chicks to offset expenses), I want to do the best job possible to get as many healthy, hearty chicks as possible.

Well I got the eggs and I candled them. A little worried because all I saw was hundreds of looking little air bubbles in the eggs. Let the egg sit upright for 24 hours and no difference. Eggs are incubator now so I will see what happens.
There's a ton of info on shipped hatching eggs here....try a search or two.

Back
Top Bottom