Corrugated plastic roof panels for walls?

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
I'm planning a coop addition, and trying to price out materials. Some of the roof panels are fairly cheap, and I'm wondering if anyone has used them for walls? Would it be thick enough? Any experience with using these panels is welcome, as are pictures. Thanks!

I've never seen them used, but people use the corrugated metal as sides so I don't see why not. I would go for it
smile.png

I suppose it would to some degree depend on what types of panels you're talking about. I used Suntop panels by Palram. These panels are a little thicker, and provide some thermal insulation. I only used them on my roof, and I wanted them to keep the coop cooler not warmer, but have been pleased with them.

They block the wind and rain, but that's about it. I would not rely only on a panel for predator protection, since you can cut the things with scissors. I'd expect a varmint could chew through the panels if it was able to get its teeth into the edge of one. As others have noted, they don't provide much in the way of insulation.

I add corrugated panels to the sides of my summer coop when it starts to get cooler in the fall, right over the hardware cloth.

I think there must be different weights and grades of the stuff; don't know that you can cut all of it with scissors. At any rate, I think most of you are right in that it wouldn't be sufficient for bad weather protection. I think I'll stick with plywood of some kind for the walls, anyway, and maybe one small panel on the roof for some light, though I'm doubting even that, after what Writerofwords said. I'm glad I asked; you guys are great to bounce ideas off of. Thank you!

I used them on my coop roof over plywood, but I left an opening in the plywood in the center for a skylight. You can see it in this pic.

58980_cooprear.jpg

Nevada, do you have any problem with leaks? Did you use anything between the plywood and plastic?

As long as you do not get hail, its okay, my friend had to replace all of hers due to hail, though she had it over the run for a roof. She was going to go with metal next time. We did our goat barn walls with corrugated metal panels, I would use those they hold up better and the sun would warm it and make the coop warmer in winter I would think.

Back
Top Bottom