Corrugated plastic roof panels over cattle panel run

viggo63

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
I am wondering if anyone has used corrugated roofing panels on a curved surface of a run. Here is pic of what I mean, only I want to use the clear plastic panels:
1606700175304.png

How did you attach the panels to the wire frame? Did the panels last a long time or crack? Did they hold up to high winds?

I have the smoke grey corrugated panels on my coop roof, and we just bought a bunch more to cover the run with. I absolutely love them!
They DO NOT drip condensation, unlike metal ones. The tinted ones are better than clear because they don’t allow full sunlight in which creates a greenhouse effect, hot. Smoke grey was from Lowe’s, but the henyard will have Home Depot’s version as Lowe’s was sold out. They’re similar.
However, they must have the full complement of fasteners to keep them secure, I have to add a few more where I skimped.
I think someone else here at BYC ran a 1x2“ or something lengthwise on the inside to fasten their panels to, effectively sandwiching the cattle panel in the middle on their hoop coop. Or you could add pvc or conduit pipe horizontally every couple feet, but I think the 1x2” ( x 8’? 12’? long) would be easier. Either way you’ll probably need someone on the inside holding the board or pipe up while someone drives the fasteners in from the outside.

Last edited:
I have the smoke grey corrugated panels on my coop roof, and we just bought a bunch more to cover the run with. I absolutely love them!
They DO NOT drip condensation, unlike metal ones. The tinted ones are better than clear because they don’t allow full sunlight in which creates a greenhouse effect, hot. Smoke grey was from Lowe’s, but the henyard will have Home Depot’s version as Lowe’s was sold out. They’re similar.
However, they must have the full complement of fasteners to keep them secure, I have to add a few more where I skimped.
I think someone else here at BYC ran a 1x2“ or something lengthwise on the inside to fasten their panels to, effectively sandwiching the cattle panel in the middle on their hoop coop. Or you could add pvc or conduit pipe horizontally every couple feet, but I think the 1x2” ( x 8’? 12’? long) would be easier. Either way you’ll probably need someone on the inside holding the board or pipe up while someone drives the fasteners in from the outside.

Thanks for your response! I'm thinking about the clear ones during the winter so they get more sun, but your warning makes sense. There may be some days when it will get too hot under it.

Maybe if my worker had done that, mine wouldn't rattle! Great idea!

Thanks for your response! I'm thinking about the clear ones during the winter so they get more sun, but your warning makes sense. There may be some days when it will get too hot under it.

Keep in mind that clear polycarbonate and similar breaks down under UV light faster than any other color of panel, so your long term maintenance costs will be higher. In fact, the darker the panel, the slower it will break down to UV. Unfortunately, darker panels will also heat up faster than lighter colored panels. No perfect solutions, just be aware of how your system will work so you can make appropriate trade offs.

L.A., California has a big ole reservoir they filled with black plastic balls - in part to keep the water cooler below (reducing evaporation), in part to reduce certain unwanted chemical reactions and reduce their chlorine needs, and black so they would survive their 10yr design life. White balls wouldn't cut it.

And a hoop frame at either end, maybe one or two in the center, depending upon length, connected by purlins to which your panels are attached will work just fine.

Keep in mind that clear polycarbonate and similar breaks down under UV light faster than any other color of panel, so your long term maintenance costs will be higher. In fact, the darker the panel, the slower it will break down to UV. Unfortunately, darker panels will also heat up faster than lighter colored panels. No perfect solutions, just be aware of how your system will work so you can make appropriate trade offs.

L.A., California has a big ole reservoir they filled with black plastic balls - in part to keep the water cooler below (reducing evaporation), in part to reduce certain unwanted chemical reactions and reduce their chlorine needs, and black so they would survive their 10yr design life. White balls wouldn't cut it.

And a hoop frame at either end, maybe one or two in the center, depending upon length, connected by purlins to which your panels are attached will work just fine.
Good information, thanks!

I am wondering if anyone has used corrugated roofing panels on a curved surface of a run. Here is pic of what I mean, only I want to use the clear plastic panels:
View attachment 2430498
How did you attach the panels to the wire frame? Did the panels last a long time or crack? Did they hold up to high winds?
I have the cattle panel coop, currently i’ve used several tarps and 12 mil. plastic, But this really looks impressive, I’ll be following this post as I’ve had this idea and was also wondering! 🐔🐥🐓🥚🐣

Back
Top Bottom