Corrugated plastic roof

I am sorry, after 30 some odd years of playing building contractor, I assume that everyone knows how to build. I am learning, not only in this site, that this is not the case. By convention, a rafter runs from the ridge to the roof edge. Typical building codes require them at no more than 24" on center. A purlin crosses the rafters at whatever center the roof panel will span. To minimize sway in plywood, rafter spacing is set to no more than 24" on center. With plywood or OSB as decking, purlins are not required. The roofing material I intend to use has a span rating of 7'-0", but I will add purlins at 4'-0 on center to hold a straighter roof line. Typical building supply store materials have a span rating of 24", so purlins have to be installed to keep the panels from doing what is shown in Nanny's pics

How big is this run and what is the difference Between this roofing(ie where did you get it) and Home Depot stuff? Is that 2x4s on top of 2x4s?

Do you get snow?

This picture gives me a good idea of how I need to do mine. Thank you.
The roofing I have is made of a different material than the stuff sold at Home Depot.
Yes it’s 2x4s on top of 2x4s in a way that allows the other support beams to pass through.
Yes I get snow sometimes 1-2 feet.

How big is this run and what is the difference Between this roofing(ie where did you get it) and Home Depot stuff? Is that 2x4s on top of 2x4s?

Do you get snow?

This picture gives me a good idea of how I need to do mine. Thank you.
That framing looks to be overkill, but. A 2x4 is strong when placed with the long dimension vertical. Laid flat, it is weak. Stacking more on top adds weight to a weak build, causing even more deflection, even without a roof load, such as snow. For strength in and roof framing, use your lumber with the long dimension vertical, and for loads, look at the span rating of whatever material you use. Install purlins at least that close. Granted, you will have less width to install fasteners, but, use a chalk line and pop lines across the roof material. If your purlins are reasonably straight, your fasteners will hit the wood

Not corrugated plastic, but the concept is the same unless attaching the plastic to OSB or plywood. In this pic, rafters are on 2 foot centers, purlins are on 18 inch centers.
IMG_2380.JPG

Back
Top Bottom