cortisone shot in elbow?

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
I have what is probably tennis elbow, again. I had it a few years ago in my left elbow. After several months of limited use, it finally got better. Now I have it in my right elbow. Im right handed. Its been hurting for almost 2 months now and not getting any better. Ive been wearing one of those tennis elbow bands and taking Advil. Every time I think its feeling better, I overuse my right arm and Im back to square one. Been thinking about going to the doctor. I have heard cortisone shots hurt like H E double hockey sticks. But I have a very high pain threshold and am seriously thinking about getting one if he recommends it. Anyone have any experience with cortisone injections? Do they work? Worth the pain?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have an issue with a stress fracture in my L5 vertabrae and while it usually isn't THAT bad, once I couldn't even get up. I went through a series of cortisone shots about 12 years ago, and I have never had a problem since then.

They numbed me, which hurt more than the danged shot, but it was worth!!!!

Yes, I had them in my shoulder and it worked miracles.

But then they stopped giving them to me because they said its no good for you long term & its just masking the pain/problem.

But they DID work!

Yes, I had trigger thumb and had a shot. It worked, well worth it. My husband had a horrible strained knee, that did not get better. The shot worked for him also. Slight prick of needle is all you feel. When you're getting the shot, just think to yourself how much better you'll feel. Good luck.
smile.png

My DH just got one today in his elbow. He said it didn't really hurt at all but I think he has a high pain tolerance. He had one in the other elbow about a year ago and since it has been fine. I think they are worth the pain, from the improvements I have seen with him. Good luck hope it feels better soon.
smile.png

Yes, I can't even remember it hurting. I'm going tomorrow to get 4 or 5 in my hip. She's sprays a cold freezing agent just before the needle and I don't mind it at all. Not crazy about the thought of the steroids but I haven't had one in a year so I'm ready.

I think I am the Queen of Cortisone, mainly because of my Asthma, if I get a bad attack, they usually give me a shot. But I have also had a couple in my Right Knee. My advice, they will or should use Freeze Spray to numb the skin, you tell them when to stop spraying, make sure you can't feel a thing. I am not gonna lie it will not feel great and I can always feel the Cortisone actually going in to my knee. About 2 hours after you have the shot, it ain't gonna feel good, but the next day you should feel much better and tell a difference.
With my knee last time I was facing surgery, after the shot I was fine.
I didn't mean to scare you, but would rather have you prepared for everything.

Karen, Ive always heard they are no fun. But my elbow is becoming a pain in my butt. When I move it wrong, it really hurts. Needles have never bothered me, in fact, I let a good friend who was studying to be an EMT practice on the vein in my arm. DD turned white as a ghost watching him dig around for it.
lol.png
As long as they are worth the discomfort, I think Im gonna call and see if they can get me in soon. Who knows, they may recommend something else. Thanks everybody.

Im a GIANT chicken ( ha ha) about getting ANY kind of shot and believe it or not it wasent that bad. More often than not it depends on Who is giving you the shot. If they normally do it you should be fine,but if your primary dr is gonna give them, well .... again depends on how many they have done. If your wanting the best and least painful id go to a ortho/sports Dr they have given millions of them.
Hope this helps and my elbow has been pain free for almost 5 yrs now....

Quote:
The problem with elbows and knees is you have no real muscles there, basically bone and skin. It will be a little uncomfortable the day you get the shot, but it will feel much better after that. I could hardly walk with my knee and the next day I literally had no pain.

Biggest issue with Cortisone, is the thickness of it, they use a large needle, but that is all momentary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom