Cortunix Chick isnt growing pls help if you have any ideas

kosherpickle

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Hi there,

Although this is the first time I post, I have been consulting this forum for over a year now and have had a lot of help with any issues simply by reading the history of prior posts. My apologies if there is already a thread that pertains to my concern and if so please let me know the link.

I first started with 4 quails bought at 8 weeks (3 female one male) over a year ago and now have 6 adult females 2 adult males and 6 chicks. 5 were hatched on Thursday March 27th and are doing fine, the 6th hatched a day later and isn't showing any growth but is eating, drinking and is very active. Baby as I call her/him has curled toes and walks on her/his 'elbows' for the lack of proper /correct body part term, but does sometimes stand property with buckled feet (looks like walking on knuckles?) Perhaps spraddle or spray leg ? but doesn't look like what I see in pics on internet. Baby struggled in incubator as she pipped around 5:30 am poss. and wasn't out still by 11 am, so I helped. They are like pets for me, so I chose to try then to let die. I've had to separate Baby from the others that seems now 3 x her size because they began to pick on Baby. While in the brooder, she went for water and peeked food with the others no problem.
I've been feeding turkey shur gain starter mixed with a little kitten Purina kitten food to all the chicks. I now have baby in a plastic bin with a heating pad and thermometer to gauge temp 95 degrees. Ive been feeding her with a dropper (to monitor drinking and avoid spillage) with water mixed with Prime, concentrated vitamin mineral amino acid supplement Baby is next to me since Monday morning.
Her wings are growing showing sings of change like the other chicks now are with silverish lines (before they feather). She wants to be in heat more (perhaps because she is so small) but drinks, scratches and peeks /eats and poops fine. Lots of energy likes to be held/ Typing with one finger atm LOL.
Sorry for the bad / not articulate manner.

Anyone have a similar situation occur with any advice or will time only tell? I want to make her comfortable as possible. Baby shows no signs of discomfort and chirps and carries on well. Any help suggestions is much appreciated.

concerned quail mom,
Tracy

I just hatched my first batch of quail on March 16th and I also had a chick that walked on the front of his "ankle" joint (I guess technically the analogous body part would be the knee) and after two weeks, he corrected himself. He is still smaller than the rest of the batch, but I'm wondering if he'll undergo some sort of compensatory growth like many other animals do. Sorry I am not much help, but I hope he gets better!

I just hatched my first batch of quail on March 16th and I also had a chick that walked on the front of his "ankle" joint (I guess technically the analogous body part would be the knee) and after two weeks, he corrected himself. He is still smaller than the rest of the batch, but I'm wondering if he'll undergo some sort of compensatory growth like many other animals do. Sorry I am not much help, but I hope he gets better!

I agree. Give Baby a little more time, trusting that it may correct itself naturally. And trust yourself too. You're being observant, diligent and compassionate. Good things come from that.

Thank you both for your words of encouragement. It means a great deal for us.
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom