Cortunix VS Bob White....................

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
Okay, I'm confused here. I got 8 cortunix quail last Sunday and they have not laid an egg since. I know the stress of the move is probably the reason, but how long will they go without laying an egg? I have them a "dirt bath" in their pen now. They are on a high protein game bird food. I don't get it.

Also, I'm thinking of getting Bob White quail and was wondering if the meat is better. I think Bob White meat is all white. Is their any difference in raising them. They can fly, right. So do they need a bigger pen to fly in?

Bobwhites can fly. You can house them in a cage or pen just like you do coturnix.
ETA: Ive got 6 bobwhites in a 3x3x3 ft breeding pen, they have plenty of room.

Last edited:
To be honest, Ive never ate a coturnix, and its been a long time since I ate a bobwhite. So Im not much help there.
smile.png

The stress of the move can make them quit laying for up to a week or so.

I've experienced a hens lull from stress to almost 3 weeks. Just make sure if they are indoors they're getting 14 hours of light a day (thats the minimum) if outside you don't have to concern yourself with that.

I've never eaten bobwhite but i love coturnix meat!
smile.png
And eggs.

Coturnix can fly but dont perch they are ground dwellers this gives you more space if you're doing a breeding thing of them. If you want them to enjoy themselves though you can surely make them an aviary type set up bu they will stay on the ground unless startled.
smile.png

WELL, guess who heard me complaining about no eggs. I got 3 today. So 6 days from the stressful move. YEAH!! I must admit, I can see myself going absolutely crazy with quail. I only have 8, 3 roos and 5 hens. I know that is too many roos for the girls, but I can't find any to buy around here. Everyone here has Bob White. Anyone know of someone in North TX that has Cortunix?

My coturnix started laying eggs at seven or eight weeks. My bobwhites are now about 22 weeks and still aren't laying, so yeah, they take a lot longer to mature. I haven't eaten either bird, so i don't know what they taste like.

Back
Top Bottom