corturnix quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by muzaffar_ali99, Oct 23, 2012.

1. muzaffar_ali99

muzaffar_ali99 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2010
    I have corturnix quails for laying, now they are more than 2 months old, and approximately give one egg a day.

I want to know why is the egg rate so low.

Thanks

2. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Are you in the northern hemisphere, and are they outdoors? Quail won't lay as much in winter.
    It could also be what they're eating. They need high protein game bird food with a 25-30% minimum protein content and ground oyster shells or calcium grit to successfully lay eggs. If you're already feeding them the proper diet than it's just the light issue.

If you provide them with a light that gives them 14 hours of light per day they'll probably start laying more.

3. quadchick77

quadchick77 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    First off how many females are there?

4. muzaffar_ali99

Sep 29, 2010
    almost 20 are female, i am giving them feed of 8 no that comes in market for layer breeder, i am based in pakistan. i am also giving more than 14 hours of light. May be they have gone fatter? They are outside in cage may be night temperature drops that is causing?

5. quadchick77

Jan 27, 2012
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    Sounds like maybe a feed problem. Are you SURE you actually have 20 females though? At that age you should be getting more like 15 a day

6. muzaffar_ali99

Sep 29, 2010
    i am not 100% sure, how can i judge male and female?

7. quadchick77

Jan 27, 2012
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    Got pictures? Generally the males have a rusty colored chest is most breeds of coturnix and the females a polkadotted or checkered looking chest. The males make a loud computer generated sounding mating call. Females are usually bigger than males also.

8. muzaffar_ali99

Sep 29, 2010
    yes last night i confirmed about females by vent sexing, is it temperature that is required high enough all the time? i guess i read somewhere today that after giving light expect any result after 2 weeks and its not been 2 weeks after giving light to my quails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by