Coryza? Pics!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tadpole98, Nov 30, 2012.

1. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I was taking role call this morning and noticed my little bantam pullet (three months) just standing there. without giving much thought to it I picked her up and set her with the others. then when she wasnt going off to play with them I picked her up and was about to set her with them again when I saw her eye. It looked disgusting and I knew we had yet ANOTHER thing going off in our coop. It seems like every day there is something new. yesterday a wheezing hen and the day before a hen with a bloody comb and the day before that a coyote drug off my rooster but he dropped him and we had to deal with this bloody back and deep bite marks. But he is okay now.
    (for this pic she wouldnt stand still but oh well)
    it is only in one of her eyes and its just sorta puffy and gooey. her nose has this junk coming out of it on one side.
    and another one has it too. tonight i am going to check the rest of the flock (I have 65 more) when they are on their roost.
    anyways thanks for any advice if you have any. w are right now making some tea with all this stuff like sage leave and grapefruit seed extract nd garlic and stuff.

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for what you're going through. It sounds like a respiratory disease is definitely spreading through your flock. Coryza typically has a foul odor about the head area on sick birds. It could also be Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry: Scroll down to Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and read about symptoms, treatments etc...
    I recommend that you cull the sick birds, either disease is contagious to other birds and can be easily spread via clothing, shoes , hands and so on.

3. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG] I cant cull
    these to are my favorites out of all the flock. maybe i could wear latex when dealing with them? then take off the gloves when i go to deal with the others?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Tadpole

I do understand that you cannot cull your favourite birds - are they completely separated from your other birds?

Sadly, as Dawg says the problem being that contagious disease will spread throughout the entire flock if the affected birds are not kept in complete isolation from the others and that it is essential that you change clothing, shoes etc when moving from an infected area to one where the disease is not prevalent - even wild birds can transfer the disease from one area to another - it is an awful situation to be in - if you decide to keep a "closed flock" then you should know that you cannot introduce any new birds as they risk becoming infected also.

Whatever you decide to do under the circumstances is your decision alone, there is no right or wrong way to act if you are emotionally involved with your favourite chickens - it is something that we all can be faced with and is entirely personal.....

I am saddened to know that you are facing such an awful situation -

Suzie

6. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I have them completely separated right now in a kennel. But tomorrow morning the (now four) chickens are going up to a separate coop in a different part of our land. there will be no way it can get to them there.

Also, can it effect the eggs they lay? we currently sell 14 dozen a week but I dont want to sell them if the eggs will be no good.

7. maggiemo

maggiemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Front Range Colorado
    I had a chicken looking just like yours with the swollen eye and I can see a crusty nose. In the next couple of days I had four more hens present with the same symptoms; only a swollen and crusty nose.
    I freaked out and thought the worst but kept looking and there were no other symptoms. So I thought, if this was my kid I would keep thier noses clean and keep them warm and hydrated. I did take them to the vet and got them cultured but meanwhile I flushed thier noses out with sailine and water three times a day (that's right, three times a day). They showed improvement almost immidiatly.
    All are fine now. The vet said she has never seen problems like these resolve themselves.
    So, I don't know if you have the same thing. I am just saying it might not be time to cull. It might be time to flush thier noses with sailine and see if they show improvement.
    good luck.

8. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    How did you flush their noses out with sailine?

9. maggiemo

Sep 1, 2012
    Front Range Colorado
    You can use a syringe without the needle or just a squeeze bottle, like an plastic mustard dispenser.

10. maggiemo

Sep 1, 2012
    Front Range Colorado
    Look at the crust on her nostril. I would clear that out and I bet it has some discharge in there. Clear that and keep it clear...can't hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by