Coryza? Please tell me it's not...

She's doing fine! Thanks for asking!! She and the other 2 that had the swelling around their eyes are now back to normal. I believe it did have something to do with the fact they (the ones with the swelling around eyes) were in an extremely hard molt. In fact, the one I took pics of lost all her primary wing feathers at one time, and the poor girl couldn't even fly up to the roost; I ended up putting a milk crate next to the roost so she could hop up and hop back down.

So, all are good....fingers crossed this will be it for me this year, as I've had the max. amount of heartache that I think I can handle! Thanks again for asking about my Carmen!!
hugs.gif

Boy that was quick!

Ah yes, Carmen is her name. I am hugely glad for you about this. You deserve a breather, boy oh boy.

Now I'm off to inject three of mine with Tylan--first time ever (tremble tremble)

Quote:
Absolutely right! Some diseases do defy all our efforts. For example, cocci. It's really bad this year, in spite of a very clean coop, in spite of medicated feed right from hatch time, etc. My youngsters' coop couldn't be cleaner unless I followed them around with a little pooper scooper and didn't let the poop touch the ground. They still got it and it's been difficult to get them over it. So, I know you're doing everything you can do, Wynette.

I, too had problems with Cocci even with my best efforts to keep the coop clean and dry.....another culprit are the wild birds getting into the coops, they can pass off cocci like no tomorrow.

Its those things that happens despite of your best efforts!

Most chickens get a virus when it comes to respiratory illness. If you can not smell anything fowl (no pun intended) then it is probably not coryza. I haved asked over and over again to find out what this really smells like and no one seems to answer the quesiton.

When you treat with antibiotics you are treating the secondary bacterial infections that MAY occure while the virus is attacking and thus lowering the birds immune system. Go ahead and give tetracycline in the water. Do it for a few days, then skip one day and feed yogurt to the infected ones, but leave the others alone. Repeat a few more cycles and you will have 8 days of antibiotics and 3 days without. This gives the birds gut a chance to get the good bacteria in thier system. Free range birds really do well with this (non yogurt). Finally, when you get through the illness worm your flock a week later. Use a mild Wazzin dose and repeat it a week after that. Watch for any recurring illness and cull the birds that comes down with it a second time.

This of course is just an opinion, but I now have been through this and have even had to cull. Your bird does not really look that bad and BTW a good looking bird at that.

During the medication I used vitamines and electrolytes in mild doses in the comminity waterer (when there was no medication). Be sure the birds do not have an alternate water supply and keep your waterer filled. I have about 50 birds and they go through 3 gallons in about a day and a half.

Back
Top Bottom