Coryza Question

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
hi,

I need to treat one of my RIR w/Tylan 50 and I can't remeber the dose. I was remembering 1cc for 3 days but then I saw a post of 1/4cc for 3 days.

Also, it is two weeks after treatment before eggs can be eaten right?

I have it broken down on a piece of paper from when I had to use it last summer.

I have:

1 cc - 12.5 lbs
1/2 cc - 6.25 lbs
1/4 cc - 3.12 lbs
1/8 cc - 1.56 lbs

I would up the dose or lower a little depending on the weight of the bird. I also used little 1 cc diabetic needles.

There is no withdrawal time given for egg laying birds on the Tylan packaging, as this would be considered unlabled use.....but two weeks is what I do.

I've given my hen the 3 days of 1/5cc of Tylan and she doesn't seem any better. She still has a smell, pasty butt, and generally looks bad. Plus she has this gurgly sound to her breathing. What else can I do for her?

check the crop.
feel for any grainy feeling.

check the mouth and throat for any whitish or yellowish sores or plaque.
and any sour smell.

could be sour crop/fungal infection.
could be canker.
what color is the droppings?

Flagyl or Spartrix for canker
nystatin or other anti-fungal med.

Tylan usually works for respiratory illness.
and it still could be respiratory and need higher dose.

are you able to take to a vet?
you could have a gram stain done at a vet.
use a Q-tip, swab the throat, place Q-tip in sterile syringe...take to vet.

another option is:

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

(they
say he's good about helping to diagnose and supply meds)

for meds: type in canker

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com

Last edited:
First, I see in my post, I said, 1/5cc, it was 1/2cc.

Her poo is yellow/white and like paste.

The vet's around here are limited in avian care. The last vet I took a hen to, charged me over $100 basically to tell me she was going to die. I medicated her and cared for her and she is one of my best layers.

Ok, the hen doesn't have much of an odor today.

Her crop felt empty. Looking at her food/water, it doesn't look like she ate/drank much today. She took the Poly V well though.

Her nose is runny.

Her combe and wattle are a bit pale.

Her poo is still pasty/clumpy and yellowish green. Though I did notice a more normal looking poo in the cage.

Inside her mouth I saw nothing. The flesh is pale.

She has a gurgley sound still. Reminds me of that sound made when breathing a person has when they have pnuemonia.

Does she need another round of Tylan? Or the antifungal?

I would dose her again with tylan. Or, there is another med that I really like and seems to clear things up fast and that is LS 50. It is another off label use to give it to an adult bird, but it does work wonders. It is water soluble.

See if you can find some. You need to make sure she eats. Try giving her boiled egg, cat food anything that will get her to eat.

You have to remember if this bird gets well she could spread this to other birds in your flock.

Last edited:
Sammi,

I have never had coryza, so I don't know what to expect for an every day dose.

I give it every other day if I have a bird that gets a bad case of IB.

Back
Top Bottom