Coryza treatment

sareydoll

Chirping
Jun 26, 2021
Houston, TX
Our silkie has developed what we are fairly certain is Coryza as a result of a mycoplasma infection. We have been treating her with saline rinses, terramycin ointment, and tylosin in her water. We have seen different advice on whether medicated food would be helpful or overload. Can anyone provide some insight on how to proceed? She is in overall good health except for the first two days with the runny nose and sneezing, so that is no longer a problem. I would appreciate advice that does not include culling her if there are other treatments we can move to. Or should we just wait and see if this antibiotic takes a little time to work? Thanks for helping and the hand (wing?) holding!

What exactly makes you believe that she has Coryza on top?

Does she smell bad when you take a whiff near her head?
Good question! Yes, it’s pretty funky, and this started after what we believe was mycoplasma she had about a week or two ago (sneezing, bubbly eye discharge, slight lethargy). I’ll try and get a pic later today when I’m home.

We have seen different advice on whether medicated food would be helpful or overload.
Medicated chicken feed (available over the counter) in the US is only low dose amprolium (brand name Corid) to combat coccidiosis.. it works by mimicking thiamine to starve out and slow the growth of coccidia.. it does not actively kill anything or have any added antibiotic effect. Use of Corid or a sulpha antibiotic may still be required under certain conditions.

Medicated feed are *usually* starter feeds.. and therefor *might* be higher in protein (and amino acids) than some other feed choices and might be beneficial in that aspect.. that's a whole lot of might's. but nutrition matters. How old is your Silkie and what is your current feed routine including treats and supplements? How long have you had it and where did it come from? Have you seen it in your flock before?

A better choice (than medicated feed as described above) if you're not worried about coccidiosis would be to boost her own immune system using something like Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell or Poultry Booster.. but I hesitate to make any real suggestions without having more details.

Please note, I'm not up on antibiotics and never yet dealt with any MC/MG.. but wanted to at least answer your medicated feed question.

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Last edited:
Infectious Coryza in Chickens - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/infectious-coryza-in-chickens:

Because early treatment is important, immediate administration of medication via drinking water is recommended until medicated feed is available. Erythromycin and oxytetracycline are usually effective. Additionally, several newer-generation antimicrobials (eg, fluoroquinolones, macrolides) are active against infectious coryza.

if you read on using the link to the website, there will be several more antibiotics mentioned.

Infectious Coryza in Chickens - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/infectious-coryza-in-chickens:

Because early treatment is important, immediate administration of medication via drinking water is recommended until medicated feed is available. Erythromycin and oxytetracycline are usually effective. Additionally, several newer-generation antimicrobials (eg, fluoroquinolones, macrolides) are active against infectious coryza.

if you read on using the link to the website, there will be several more antibiotics mentioned.
Thank you! I knew I could count on getting info here quickly! ❤️

Medicated chicken feed in the US is only low dose amprolium (brand name Corid) to combat coccidiosis.. it works by mimicking thiamine to starve out and slow the growth of coccidia.. it does not actively kill anything or have any added antibiotic effect. Use of Corid or a sulpha antibiotic may still be required under certain conditions.

Medicated feed are *usually* starter feeds.. and therefor *might* be higher in protein (and amino acids) than some other feed choices and might be beneficial in that aspect.. that's a whole lot of might's. but nutrition matters. How old is your Silkie and what is your current feed routine including treats and supplements? How long have you had it and where did it come from? Have you seen it in your flock before?

A better choice (than medicated feed) if you're not worried about coccidiosis would be to boost her own immune system using something like Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell or Poultry Booster.. but I hesitate to make any real suggestions without having more details.

Please note, I'm not up on antibiotics and never yet dealt with any MC/MG.. but wanted to at least answer your medicated feed question.

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl
Thank you, that is really very helpful to know! My daughter also makes her a mash with the Poultry booster and applies a bit of very diluted VetRx every other evening-ish. That’s the only thing we lose track of.

Back
Top Bottom