Coryza

ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
One of my young chicks has coryza, and it was with 9 more chicks and mother hen and a different rooster. I'm afraid they may be infected. Is there a way to cure them?? Can I give them antibiotics and maybe some scrambled eggs, and chick medicated feed?? Would that help? Any help is appreciated!!!

Medicated feed prevents coccidosis, which is a different matter altogether. Cocci causes bloody diarrhea. Coryza is a respiratory infection and without a test from a vet, it's difficult to diagnose. Which one do you mean here?

If you mean Cocci, then you should treat with Corid right away. Not antibiotics.

What symptoms are you seeing?

Medicated feed prevents coccidosis, which is a different matter altogether. Cocci causes bloody diarrhea. Coryza is a respiratory infection and without a test from a vet, it's difficult to diagnose. Which one do you mean here?

If you mean Cocci, then you should treat with Corid right away. Not antibiotics.

What symptoms are you seeing?
20190929_074817.jpg

One of my young chicks has coryza, and it was with 9 more chicks and mother hen and a different rooster. I'm afraid they may be infected. Is there a way to cure them?? Can I give them antibiotics and maybe some scrambled eggs, and chick medicated feed?? Would that help? Any help is appreciated!!!
Do you smell a foul odor around the head of the chick or coming from its open mouth?
Any foul odor coming from your other birds?

I have responded on your other thread. Why do you think it is coryza? Several respiratory diseases can cause swelling of the eye including mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or E.coli. E.coli is fecal bacteria that may be a secondary infection or if a peck wound or a foreign body has infected the eye. With sneezing, it sounds more like a respiratory disease. Do you have older birds who have had a respiratory illness in the past? If so did it smell bad, or does the chick now have a bad odor? That can be common with coryza.

Did the chick hatch from one of your eggs, eggs that you bought, or was the chick hatched somewhere else. That can be important, since MG can be transferred through hatching eggs as well as by a carrier bird who may not even have symptoms.

MG is best treated with Tylan, oxytetracycline, or Baytril (enrofloxacin.) Coryza is treated with sulfa antibiotics, such as Bactrim or Sulfadimethoxine. E.coli could be treated with sulfa antibiotics as well. Getting tested would identify the specific disease. Do you know if the scab is due to pecking or from fowl pox?

Back
Top Bottom