Cosplay Corner, Lolita Tea Party, and more!

Dapplepony

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Hello! I'm not sure that many people here have heard of cosplay, but it's getting bigger, so I decided to test this out. Here it goes!

What is cosplay?

Cosplay (as defined by wikipedia (because I'm too lazy to type this up myself)), "short for "costume play", is a performance art or hobby in which participants wear costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea that is usually identified with a unique name. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered on role play. A broader use of the term cosplay applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context.
Favorite sources include manga, anime, comic books, video games, and films. Any entity from the real or virtual world that lends itself to dramatic interpretation may be taken up as a subject. Inanimate objects are given anthropomorphic forms and it is not unusual to see genders switched, with women playing male roles and vice versa.

The Internet has enabled many cosplayers to create social networks and websites centered on cosplay activities, while forums allow cosplayers to share stories, photographs, news, and general information. The rapid growth in the number of people cosplaying as a hobby since 1990 has made the phenomenon a significant aspect of popular culture. This is particularly the case in Asia, where cosplay influences Japanese street fashion."
(For more information, please click here)

Why do people do it?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I usually say, "Have you ever liked a character from a book, movie, video game, or tv show so bad that you just wanted to be them?" Most of the time, they just kinda shake their heads and walk away, but I can tell they understand. Other times they'll agree wholeheartedly and look at me like I told the the secret of life. It's a random shot. Sorry for being a closet otaku.

What is Lolita and why are you wearing.. that?

"Lolita fashion (ロリータ・ファッション Rorīta fasshon?) is a fashion subculture originating in Japan that is based on Victorian-era clothing, but the style has expanded greatly beyond Japan.[1]The Lolita look began primarily as one of modesty with a focus on quality in both material and manufacture of garments. The original silhouette is of a knee length skirt or dress with a "cupcake" shape assisted by petticoats, but has expanded into various types of garments including corsets and floor length skirts. Blouses, knee high socks or stockings and headdresses are also worn.[2] Lolita fashion has evolved into several different sub styles and has a subculture that is present in many parts of the world.
Although many people point to Japan for the Lolita trend, as the creator of the "Lolita Fashion", the origin of its meaning is complex, and remains unclear.[3] It is likely the movement started in the late 1970s when famous labels including Pink House, Milk and Pretty (later known as Angelic Pretty) began selling clothes that would be considered "Lolita" by today's standards. Shortly after that came Baby, The Stars Shine Bright, and Metamorphose temps de fille.

In the 1990s, Lolita fashion became better recognized, with bands like Princess Princess coming into popularity at the time. These bands wore intricate costumes, which fans began adopting as their own style.[4] The style soon spread and ultimately reached Tokyo where it became popularized throughout Japanese youth culture. Today, Lolita fashion has gained global popularity and can be found even in department stores in Japan." (From this wikipedia page)

Okay, that's weird.

Thanks.

Seriously. I love comments like this. "Oh that's weird" "Thank you. I didn't exactly want to blend in in the first place."

(NOTICE: Not all lolitas are as 'rude' as I am. Please don't judge them all just by my tendencies to be grumpy/sarcastic/whatever towards people who say things like this.)

Why do you wear these kinds of clothes?

I could say "Because I like to!" and flounce away, but I'll be polite.
Personally, I wear these kinds of frilly, cute clothes because when I was younger (read: when I was 6) and it would've been more 'normal' to wear stuff like this, I HATED the color pink, dresses, and other 'girly' things. I was so intent on being a tomboy that I missed a bunch of good stuff. (By the way, I'm still young enough (Teenager) to pull off wearing this stuff. :p )

Members

ChickenRadio

Other Stuff

???

Rules

• If you do not cosplay/lolita/whatever-else-that-may-be-added-later, be polite. (i.e. posts like "That's weird" "what's wrong with you" etc.) We're humans too.
  • All BYC rules apply
  • You may PM me to become a 'member', but it's not necisary
  • Take your personal business elsewhere. Private messaging is really nice this time of year
  • NO FIGHTING. I don't want to see it.

If you have a suggestion of other things to add here, please PM me and I'll get right on it!

Things under consideration for addition

Nothing yet!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom