Cost-Effective Poultry Lice Treatments

Chirping
Sep 2, 2021
Three of our chickens (they are an old flock) have poultry lice. I initially wanted to use a chemical like Permethrin, but my family doesn't want to due to it being expensive and they want to avoid chemicals. The only other two ideas in their price range I have are using a garlic-and-water-and-essential oil spray to apply to their vents and underneath their wings, and adding wood ash (that we have to burn ourselves) to their dust-bathing areas, and applying some of the ash directly to smother the lice. Does anyone have some cheap methods? Again, I wish I could just use a normal treatment, but I am dealing with limitations. Also, if the methods I listed are bad or wrong, please point that out.
Sorry if this sounds needy.

Thank you guys. I can't buy anything myself since I'm not an adult, but with all this advice I should be able to convince my family to try it with Permethrin, since it is cheap. To reestablish, I'm just trying to find something my family (parents) will approve of, because I really doubt the "natural" cures and garlic and stuff.

Thank you guys. I can't buy anything myself since I'm not an adult, but with all this advice I should be able to convince my family to try it with Permethrin, since it is cheap. To reestablish, I'm just trying to find something my family (parents) will approve of, because I really doubt the "natural" cures and garlic and stuff.
Good luck, friend. Permethrin is the go-to. I prefer the concentrate to clean the coop if I get mites, but Sevin dust is not expensive and is used in gardens. You can also sprinkle the dust in their bedding and dust bath. Both can be used directly on the birds.

Oh - be sure to treat all of the birds. And permethrin is toxic to cats (not dogs, though).

Back
Top Bottom