Cost of a breeder quality wyandotte?

Quote:
Ricks birds are worth every penny! I got a quad of rosecombs from him and the quality is amazing!

You should go to his place some time. It's almost overwhelming to see so many magnificent birds all in one place. pen after pen full of some of the best Rosecombs you could hope to see. A pen of 80 awesome Silver Laced Wyandottes that all look exactly the same. Rick certainly knows what he's doing.
Anyone who wants good Silver Laced Wyandottes should consider contacting Rick.

BTW he also has White Wyandotte large fowl that are beautiful.

Last edited:
I've been looking for quality glw for the past year. I won't be able to make it to the Nationals, though. I've fallen in love with the Foley's blr in the meantime.
Colby

Not to get off subject but what colors of bantam wyandottes does Rick Hare raise if any?

I've been to a few shows and I've seen stunning SLW but the GLW seems to be rare in between.

Wow!! I didnt expect so many responses so quick. Thank you all for your input. Hmmm... I dont exactly have very much "chicken money"(my current total is about $65) but I still would like to get some Glw's. What quality might I expect to get if I went to the Ohio Nationals and spent about $50 on a pair of 4 or 5 month olds?

PS- to Mrs. Turbo- I live in Northeatern KY in Carter County( not exactly the most well known county:D)

PSS-sorry if im not allowed to ask 2 questions in 1 topic:(

You will get the best quality if you go to a show, a breeder or hobbyist and ask questions, understand the difference between good better and best. Get your mind clear on your goals and stick to them. If it is your goal to have some pretty good looking birds hanging around the place that most people can identify as Gold laced Wyandottes, dont spend much time looking, just buy the birds closest or least expensive.

If it is your goal to get some good ones, one's that at least approach the standard of perfection then enjoy yourself with the research, dont spend a penny until you have found what you want. After all of that the price comes into question. I can tell you I have given away as many good birds as I have sold. If someone comes to me truly curious, truly interested I might even give them some eggs, chicks, starters. If the first question is HOw much are they? They are generally not for sale.

Just my two cents worth when it comes to looking for poultry breeding stock. If you want to go back to a post on the heritage large fowl thread I wrote an article that was published in the Chronicle regarding shopping ettiquite

Quote:
Ricks birds are worth every penny! I got a quad of rosecombs from him and the quality is amazing!

You should go to his place some time. It's almost overwhelming to see so many magnificent birds all in one place. pen after pen full of some of the best Rosecombs you could hope to see. A pen of 80 awesome Silver Laced Wyandottes that all look exactly the same. Rick certainly knows what he's doing.

I'd love to go to his place sometime and have a tour. My one hen from him won Reserve Grand Champion at the Lebanon County Fair this year. (APA sanctioned). Rick is very helpful and explained the good traits and what traits could be improved upon in my birds. He is very knowledgable and always offers to help anyone out that has questions

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're looking for large fowl or bantams? If bantams you should be able to get a pretty decent pair for $50. If it's large fowl you're after there may well not be any there. I haven't seen one in years & frankly I've never seen a good one.

Quote:

I'd love to go to his place sometime and have a tour. My one hen from him won Reserve Grand Champion at the Lebanon County Fair this year. (APA sanctioned). Rick is very helpful and explained the good traits and what traits could be improved upon in my birds. He is very knowledgable and always offers to help anyone out that has questions
Rick who?

Back
Top Bottom