Cost of keeping them...

Hi, Coco!

If you ask 25 different people this question, you'll likely get 25 different replies!
big_smile.png

There are a ton of things that go into this answer, such as:

What breed of chickens? (some breeds eat much more than others)
Where are you located? (feed prices are different across the country)
Will they get any free range time? (they can forage for "some" of their feed)

These would be the VERY basics we'd need to help give you some accurate feedback.

Just whatever they eat in feed, probably $10 or so. The cost of keeping them is hardly anything compared to the cost of building a coop if you dont have free materials on hand.

We have had 7 chickens for 5 months. With start up and cost for coop and food I would say we have spent at least a couple hundred.

We got 3 chickens this summer, and with the start up costs (the coop, feeders, waterers, treats, actual birds, and bedding) we spent around $450. The only thing I have had to purchase since then is bedding that I just bought this week and that was $14. My girls do get to free range for some of the day, and I know that does help cut down on food

Hi, Coco!

If you ask 25 different people this question, you'll likely get 25 different replies!
big_smile.png

There are a ton of things that go into this answer, such as:

What breed of chickens? (some breeds eat much more than others)
Where are you located? (feed prices are different across the country)
Will they get any free range time? (they can forage for "some" of their feed)

These would be the VERY basics we'd need to help give you some accurate feedback.

x2 It is really hard to say one certain cost because there are a lot of different factors. Prices will vary depending on your local market and your personal chicken raising choices.

I would do some research and make a plan based on how you would want to raise your birds. There are different feed options and also ways of supplementing feed. Do you want to buy everything or do you want to try to grow/farm some things at home (possible even with a small yard)

Coop costs, bedding/nesting materials, what preventive measures do you want to take health wise? If an emergency occurs do you plan on seeking a vet or doing care at home yourself? This will change expenses a lot and is a good thing to consider before you start.

Last edited:
We've had chickens for many years, so we dont' count coop costs in our figuring any more.

Food, bedding, electricity, egg cartons for our hens works out to about $2.75/dozen eggs. I know that's not exactly what you wanted, but it's how I figure it (so I can price them properly) and the only number I have at my fingertips.

We've had chickens for many years, so we dont' count coop costs in our figuring any more.

Food, bedding, electricity, egg cartons for our hens works out to about $2.75/dozen eggs. I know that's not exactly what you wanted, but it's how I figure it (so I can price them properly) and the only number I have at my fingertips.
Very good and realistic numbers. Mine is a bit less only because I range feed on land that had been planted for feeding chickens with clovers and kelp.

My biggest costs are in the coop! My chickens are spoiled! We just keep expanding, then we got more chicks and built a condo for the chicks. But SO fun. I love them more than my dog.

Once I got up and running (coop, basic medical supplies, etc), I would say it costs me about $10 per month.

Back
Top Bottom