Cost per egg

I quit figuring my cost per egg after a few hundred dollars. Our coop was free, go figure, but of course we had to upgrade it and add to it. Fencing was another matter for their HUGE run. Even though we did Craig's List for most of it. Eating good, natural, healthy food is never cheaper up front - just down the road in terms of health. I don't even worry about the cost anymore. As long as I can do it, I am in for the long haul. Besides, they are a fun hobby and pets. You cannot put a price on that.

Quote:
6 months in to the egg collecting and I still giggle a bit every time I collect eggs. I think my kids are growing tired of me coming in to the house and announcing that I have some eggs
smile.png
. I did manage to get the kids' attention when I came home from work today with a $1 bill from a co-worker for a few eggs. I keep trying to tell my kids that those chickens lay quarters and not eggs.

So, we've spent several hundred $ on this and a can now subtract a handful of single dollar bills. At this rate, the only way we will break even is if one actually does lay a golden egg.

Last edited:
glad to see I'm not alone
smile.png

I still have to fence-in the run, so that will bump the price up some in the short term. The girls will just have to keep on producing I suppose.

This is why I keep my flock as a hobby rather than a money maker. I give my eggs to friends and sell them soley to help pay for food. Otherwise I think of them as my pets.

If my girls laid 6 gold eggs tomorrow that would bring me about even. I have been selling eggs but not making money just enough to pay for feed and supply the house with orbs. If they laid an egg every day for 12 years I probably get my investment back.

Hey at least you are getting eggs! LOL I don't even want to know the math on mine. Even had to purchase them at the store today....I sure do hope it gets better for both of us. I hate to admit it though I'm addicted to chickens and love them
smile.png

Only half our hens are laying but it's about 22c per egg per month thus far, excluding the costs of startup materials/coop. Can't complain!
smile.png
Getting better.

Back
Top Bottom