cottage cheese

I give mine cottage cheese and they absolutely LOVE it!!
wee.gif

Quote:
Where did you get this information? I've been feeding chickens milk & milk products for 50 years & if it has caused them a problem it hasn't been evident to me.

From a vet. Which doesn't prove it's true. Guess I won't repeat it any more, or only with qualification, since your experience has been that positive.

They're not usually cost effective, but feed formulation manuals used to include various kinds of dairy products in their ration formulas for poultry way back when. Check EBay and you can probably find ceramic poultry milk feeders.

Cottage cheese is fairly high in protein as I recall so if you're already feeding a high protein ration I'd balance it out with some grains. A free source of cottage cheese is quite a boon.

Thanks for all the input! I have been giving the free cottage cheese 2 or three times a week--about 3 cupfuls each time to the 25 birds i have. I sprinkle wheat germ/oatmeal/cracked corn or scratch on top. They really seem to like it, and it hasn't seemed to cause any digestive problems. Of course, they have their regular chicken feed available daily and lots of water. This is my first winter with the chickens, so anything I can do to keep them healthy is plus!

silkie sue gets a teaspoon of cottage cheese and shredded lettuce every morning and gets noticeable irritated if its not in her bowl, she simply loves it and a small piece of watermelon sometimes too. my only worry is she gets full and eats very little crack corn but seems to be growing just fine ( 4 mo.s old) I just love this little bird a GREAT little pet

I mix a couple of tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese with some steel cut oats....like watching a rumble. They attack the cheese first, get it all over their faces, then peck it off each other. Then they settle for the oats. Dessert, I guess. Put it in a paper bowl the first time, they knocked it over and ate off the ground. Table manners, they are lacking.

Back
Top Bottom