cotton patch, American Buff, or Pilgrim?

amazondoc2

Songster
12 Years
Oct 15, 2008
I'm planning to get a few geese later this year. I already keep chickens and ducks; I also have two bird-safe dogs (one Anatolian shepherd, one Doberman, believe it or not). I want a few geese to help guard the ducks on pasture, and possibly to weed between my containers and raised beds, and as layers, and to just generally be friendly critters. I don't plan to eat any. I do have heavy predator pressure, which makes me nervous about the pasturing I plan to open up for the ducks this summer, and though the Anatolian is safe with birds, she is not interested in staying with them (let me tell you about the time she pushed my barn door off its tracks! :he).

I have narrowed my search down to three breeds: Cotton Patch, American Buff, Pilgrim. I have sources for all three, including a local source for Cotton Patch just 30 minutes' drive away.

Cotton Patch -- Pro: friendly, active foragers, good layers, auto-sexing. Con: very small, flying, white males (I'm not thrilled by all-white birds, though my main ducks are Anconas so obviously I don't mind pied), expensive, hard to find (though I do have a local source).

American Buff -- Pro: friendly, mid-size, attractive, active foragers, fairly good layers, easy to find. Con: Not as good layers as CP, not auto-sexing.

Pilgrim -- Pro: friendly, mid-size, fairly good layers, auto-sexing, easy enough to find. Con: Not as good layers as CP, white males.

What say y'all?

I'm planning to get a few geese later this year. I already keep chickens and ducks; I also have two bird-safe dogs (one Anatolian shepherd, one Doberman, believe it or not). I want a few geese to help guard the ducks on pasture, and possibly to weed between my containers and raised beds, and as layers, and to just generally be friendly critters. I don't plan to eat any. I do have heavy predator pressure, which makes me nervous about the pasturing I plan to open up for the ducks this summer, and though the Anatolian is safe with birds, she is not interested in staying with them (let me tell you about the time she pushed my barn door off its tracks! :he).

I have narrowed my search down to three breeds: Cotton Patch, American Buff, Pilgrim. I have sources for all three, including a local source for Cotton Patch just 30 minutes' drive away.

Cotton Patch -- Pro: friendly, active foragers, good layers, auto-sexing. Con: very small, flying, white males (I'm not thrilled by all-white birds, though my main ducks are Anconas so obviously I don't mind pied), expensive, hard to find (though I do have a local source).

American Buff -- Pro: friendly, mid-size, attractive, active foragers, fairly good layers, easy to find. Con: Not as good layers as CP, not auto-sexing.

Pilgrim -- Pro: friendly, mid-size, fairly good layers, auto-sexing, easy enough to find. Con: Not as good layers as CP, white males.

What say y'all?
Hm...I would go with the Cotton Patches just because they're rare and super cute.
I hear really good things about Buffs too though.
@Miss Lydia ?

Hm...I would go with the Cotton Patches just because they're rare and super cute.
I hear really good things about Buffs too though.
@Miss Lydia ?
I think my biggest concern with them is their size. So small! Almost like I would just be adding more ducks rather than "real" geese. :p

I really need to go look at this lady's birds. She's even invited me over there. We exchanged several emails, and she was quite friendly and informative. Which is always a great sign. So, really, why haven't I set up a meet-and-greet with her already? Yeah, that's the ticket, that's what I should do.

Thanks for this helpful talk! :lau

I think my biggest concern with them is their size. So small! Almost like I would just be adding more ducks rather than "real" geese. :p

I really need to go look at this lady's birds. She's even invited me over there. We exchanged several emails, and she was quite friendly and informative. Which is always a great sign. So, really, why haven't I set up a meet-and-greet with her already? Yeah, that's the ticket, that's what I should do.

Thanks for this helpful talk! :lau
Yeah, that is true. Geese really are just alarm birds though, they won't be able to actually protect your birds from anything. And actually, the smaller a bird is the feistier they seem to be. 🤣
Sounds like meeting her and her birds will be great! You can decide whether you like the geese or not. If you don't mind, keep me posted! And good luck in your search!!!

Yeah, I need to keep my expectations realistic. You hear stories about guard geese chasing off foxes and such, but I really shouldn't expect that of them. I know, I know, I shouldn't put too much pressure on the poor things!

And guess what -- I just found a second local source for Cotton Patch birds. And this second source also has buffs, so maybe I'll be able to go look at both in person and compare. This second batch of birds is a longer drive, but still only about an hour. Very doable.

I'll update as I find out more!

Yeah, I need to keep my expectations realistic. You hear stories about guard geese chasing off foxes and such, but I really shouldn't expect that of them. I know, I know, I shouldn't put too much pressure on the poor things!

And guess what -- I just found a second local source for Cotton Patch birds. And this second source also has buffs, so maybe I'll be able to go look at both in person and compare. This second batch of birds is a longer drive, but still only about an hour. Very doable.

I'll update as I find out more!
Yeah. It varies on the bird, but they definitely do chase stuff off sometimes. A dog or a coyote will be no match though.
Oh that's awesome!!!

Thanks for your input. What do you love about them?
They are good grazers, and gentle. They were my first geese, so there was some growing pains as we both learned, but nothing too bad. They made excellent parents last year. I much prefer them to my Pomeranians. They are loud, obnoxious, cry-babies. And their flock dynamic is all off resulting in me standing guard over the goose while she lays because the two ganders are too busy chatting with the Buffs in their breed pen.

All are great choices! For myself, I would go for the cotton patch, simply because they are the rarest and need to be preserved. But the other two breeds are larger and probably less prone to attack from aerial predators.

Another thing to consider is that weeder geese need to be trained as goslings to accept broad leaved weeds. Otherwise they will just eat the grass and leave the weeds behind.

Are goose eggs really a thing? I've tried them and didn't like them much. Very gritty.

Back
Top Bottom