cotton patch geese

I'm not sure what you mean by a "hint" of a saddleback pattern. The cotton patch have a solid and a saddleback variety so there is definitely a saddleback pattern. They do have lobes. I've noticed some have two and occasionally one. I'll have to talk to tom walker and find out what the standard is on that. It will definitely help the breed when he is finished writing an official standard.

Hi, I´ve been reading BYC forums off-and-on for quite while, but only came across this forum today. I live in Brazil, and I have what I believe to be some CPG that I bought from a farmer nearby who just refers to them a common geese. I´ve been trying to identify the breed for a year now. They are absolutely delightful. I´m doing experiment with them to see if they´re true sex-links. This year they hatched out 3 goslings, I think they´re all males, they certainly look like it, time will tell.

Well, I can´t find any info on how the various breeds arrived here, but you can get Chinese, African, Embden and Toulouse geese here, as well as a whole host of chicken breeds( I have Brahma and Delaware). I haven´t found reference to Cotton Patch here, just Common. The guy I bought them from has no idea of their ancestry, so I´m just going by how they look. My avatar has a photo of them, will try to post another photo when the internet here can cope with it. (tried twice, won´t load) Even if they´re not Cotton Patch in particular, they´re totally placid, tho they were free-range when I got them, graze almost non-stop, match up to the other descriptions of behaviour that I´ve read about CPG, so I´m still dead chuffed with them.

welcome-byc.gif

I took a look at the pic and the body shape looks a bit different, but that could just be a line difference as the two lines from the same breed could have different characteristics develop when they don't mix (which is how an entirely new breed eventually comes about of course). The head/bill of the white male looks a little different too, but it could just be the pic. Other than that, they look very similar and it certainly sounds like a possibility! There's be some trading between the americas as well so maybe they are CPG. I wonder if we could do genetic testing.

Does doing a genetic test involve vets? They don´t know much more than cats´ and dogs´ basic care around here. What do I need to do? I´m quite intrigued, I wish I had more info on these geese, This goose hatched out 3 goslings, one had a darker bill and darker down, but died before it even got out of the nest. The other goose hatched out one gosling. It was back in the winter, and we had a down-pour, the nest got washed down the bank, I washed the eggs off, although I reckoned they´d already be contaminated, and moved the nest nearby to a better place, and she laid one more egg! That must be the one that hatched. I have 3 more geese, I know aren´t CPG, they´re a good mix-up, but could have that gene in them, as they also have the pinky bill. Have tried 6 times to upload photo, no go. Maybe my camera has too many pixels for the system to load. Will have to think of a way around this. Anyway, how do I do a genetic test? Pull a feather out?

Back
Top Bottom