cotton patch geese

hollyk

Songster
11 Years
Nov 21, 2008
Canton, Texas
Does anyone have cotton patch geese? I have been researching these as additions to our farm. We are focusing on heritage breeds. These geese were used to weed the cotton fields in the South- hence the name. I would like to know anyones experiences with these birds:D

My Husband's Grandparents had them. My Husband said that the geese would clear the patch of grass in one day. I'm afraid he said he can't remember any details about them. I'm interested in this subject as well.

Michelle

I would also like to have a few myself. From what I have read they are rare and very hard to come by. I have found some at Green Fire farms in FL. They were $200 a pair.

I've been looking into them as well. I'm interested in all things Florida Cracker.

I did find this address on the inter-webs

Tom Walker
278 Porter Road,
Bastrop, Texas 78602

email: [email protected]

He's been hunting for them for a long time and is interested in antique poultry. You might give him a try.He may be the fella GreenFire got them from, not sure.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for all this info. I had seen green fire farms website. I would pay the 200.00/pair if that was a fair price. However, I would like to compare. I will check out the fellow in Texas. Being southern born & bred, I am excited about preserving something of our heritage.

I talked with Tom Walker via email today. He does sell goslings- at a price much less than 200/pair. Being in Texas, I can pick them up. We are close in Texas terms. About a 4 hour drive to his place. I am so excited. He won't have anything else available until Fall at the earliest. Which is fine, my husband has curtailed my livestock expansion until then anyway. It seems he thinks that we should have the barn finished and shelters in the paddocks BEFORE we buy more animals:idunno
Thanks for the help!
If anyone has owned these geese, I would love to hear your stories!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom