Coturnix color/breed?

I have to also assume when they say "white meat" they mean light skin. So the cooked bird has a lighter appearance. Light meat vs dark meat comes from different muscle fibers (slow-twitch vs fast twitch).

"Muscles that receive sustained activity, like the wings and breast of ducks or geese, or the legs of chickens are called slow-twitch fibers. In order to keep activity at appropriate levels, the muscles need a constant supply of oxygen. Myoglobin is a protein that stores oxygen in the muscle cells and has quite a bit of pigment, resulting in a darker colored muscle."

There you have it.
wink.png

Quote:
So are you saying that you don't think that the A & M is truely a white meat tasting bird? Because I have a few who say that they've had A& M and it tastes no different than any other coturnix. I can't attest to this so im curious
tongue.png

i have eaten bobwhite a&m and jumbo brown and i cant see or taste much difference between them i have noticed that bobwhite from a flight pen are a tad tougher than the rest still good though. i think its the quality of feed more than anything i had some penned up bobwhite who were only ever fed cracked corn and didnt care for them.....

Right. I think they all taste the same. I think they are only referring to their white skin. There's a lot of folks on here that eat a lot of quail, has *anyone* noticed a difference? The only one of my birds that I've eaten was an A&M and the last time I had quail was a loooong time before that so I couldn't make a fair comparison.

Back
Top Bottom