Coturnix female struggling to walk! Help!

BrahmaMom1797

Songster
May 18, 2017
Hi!
I’m brand new to quail keeping as I inherited a batch of 31 chicks from a friend who was victim to the recent fires on the coast of Central California. I’ve been having a great time with them but I’m not very learned on them yet.
Today I sold and traded some birds, happily so as I ended up with 20 boys out of a batch of 31 chicks. I received three through trade. The three I got are all in good health and are super active, dust bathing and very happy to pick at food. They’re still a little shy to the new flock but are fitting in without getting more than a couple warning pecks, they’re giving warning pecks if their own too.
The little Italian Coturnix I got is seemingly struggling slightly with walking, left leg seems to be the issue, though she’s not picking it off the ground at all like most do when they’re in a lot of pain. Not awfully, she can still shuffle around and is still active and alert and has been nesting avidly where every she decides to sit herself. But I’m wondering what her issue may be. She and the other two that came with her had a solid 2 hour drive home today, is there any chance she could be just slightly lacking in vitamins and electrolytes? I changed their water and added both to it and she has full access to food.
I can lightly push the leg all the way in, so can she, and she can fully extend it as well. She can also still resist the light pressure I apply so her leg is not at all useless, but I’d like to make sure it doesn’t end up that way.
Any advice I could get is appreciated.
Thank you whoever sees and replies.
YouTube link to video of her walking:

BDA89780-930F-4F45-8664-4AE0F7CE6E6D.jpeg

The right foot looks like there's a bit of a sore on there. I would try a warm (quail body temp or a tiny bit warmer) epsom salt bath and see if you can get another picture of the bottom of the foot.

I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the right joint is a bit swollen too. Keep her isolated and warm tonight and see how she is in the morning.

Does anything feel broken? Joints feel normal? If anything the right foot seems lightly swollen in the first picture
Nothing feels broken at all and she’s not keeping weight off that side, just uncomfortable. Joints feel maybe swollen, but I’m not the best judge, I’ll probably do the smart thing and check the other birds joints.

The right foot looks like there's a bit of a sore on there. I would try a warm (quail body temp or a tiny bit warmer) epsom salt bath and see if you can get another picture of the bottom of the foot.

I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the right joint is a bit swollen too. Keep her isolated and warm tonight and see how she is in the morning.
Thank you for the advice, will do. Should I keep her inside and totally alone? I don’t know how social they really are, should she have a friend? Once someone else comes home I’ll try to get some better pictures, may not be posted till somewhat late tonight though.

This limping seemed to start later in the evening too as I didn’t notice earlier but I’m running on low sleep so maybe I missed, she’s had no struggle and hassle nesting at all, even now after I noticed.

Back
Top Bottom