coturnix growth/size question

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
I got my first egg today.
big_smile.png
Unfortunately I can't find my camera. I'll post a pic when I do. My quail really don't seem that big though and these are supposedly jumbos. I guess they are close to 8weeks. I set one of the bigger ones on the scale and got slightly under 6oz. Not impressive. I have been feeding them lower protein food. I can only get 22% gamebird here and that's the highest of anything I've looked at. I did supplement with cat food when they were little but it's too expensive to feed nearly 100 quail cat food. They already go through a 50lb bag of game bird feed in about a week with the help of the buttons. Are they just a bit behind and will continue to grow or not? I wasn't planning to butcher until the end of May anyway but got my eggs early.

22% supplemented doesn't sound that bad... but if they are adult age (8 wks) at 6oz, then I would say you have Pharaoh's, not jumbo's.

yeppers sounds like you got pharoahs sadly and I dont think that has anything to do with what you're feeding. Either someone knew and sold them to you as Jumbos when they are really pharoahs or the breeder had jumbos but didn't cull the smaller ones and hence you're left with offspring that reverted back
sad.png
6oz is pharoah.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom