Coturnix neck tremble?

organjuice

Hatching
Oct 9, 2016
Hey all,
I'm brand new to raising Coturnix quails. I've had 4 females and 1 male for about two weeks now.
Today, I noticed a couple things that concerned me. Their throats have been throbbing/trembling all morning. Here's a video of the male quail doing it.
Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to treat it? If it's a sign of a disease, deficiency, or stress? It only started happening today.

Also -- if anyone knows anything about the missing neck feathers, if they're related to the neck trembling or if they're an unrelated sign of molting, bullying, deficiency, or stress, any info would be much appreciated. (It could be an attack from an aggressive female that I already separated from the main pen, though I'm not sure because I've never seen it peck at the neck.)

Thanks a bunch!

Hello there :)

I watched your video and it looks like they're panting, like a dog does when it's stressed or hot :p the one is relaxed laying down and their environment looks fine so I'd think there's no stress, just some heat today?

The neck feathers look very similar to what's happening to my pet group as they're acclimating to being outside during this changing season :) looks like it's just a natural moult!

Check out my "uglies"
1f643.png

Oh also I have some quail, mostly bigger hens, that tend to be "more panty" than the other birds. I also think they might pant a bit around laying time but I'm not sure about that one - hard to catch :p

Thank you so much Binki! What a relief. It got cooler later in the day, and the panting stopped! They all look to be happy and healthy now.

Back
Top Bottom