Female Quail Humping Things..

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
So.. I think the title explains itself.
I have a quail that I've always thought was male. It's a silver named George who isn't feather sexable and turns 7 weeks old on Wednesday. She is very hyper compared to the other two quail she lives with. I didn't want to vent sex her as she wouldn't have liked that and I don't mind if she's male or female.

The main reason I thought she was male was because I've seen her humping things. I've watched her hump squishmallows exactly how male quail hump females. I've even walked in on her standing on top of a female quail (Spot) that lives with her. I thought she was about to do to her what she does to poor little 7 inch squishmallows.

The only reason I know she is female is because this morning she laid a soft-shelled egg. She had a prolapse and was partially egg bound. She would've died if it hadn't been for @Nabiki 's great advice. I have added extra calcium to their diet and I hope that has fixed the problem.

Has anyone else had a female quail act like a male in every way possible? She doesn't do it properly on actual quail but goes all out on soft toys.
It doesn't really matter to me if she keeps doing this or not, I'm just curious 🤔

Info about the bird:
Breed: Japanese Jumbo/ Coturnix
Species: Quail
Colour: Silver
Diet: Mix of Gamebird starter and chick starter dusted with calcium + Shell grit and barley seeds dusted with calcium + dried mealworms (treat only)
PXL_20230702_020731610.jpg
PXL_20230625_222546886.jpg
PXL_20230625_222521307.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230625_222540428.jpg
    PXL_20230625_222540428.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 1
So.. I think the title explains itself.
I have a quail that I've always thought was male. It's a silver named George who isn't feather sexable and turns 7 weeks old on Wednesday. She is very hyper compared to the other two quail she lives with. I didn't want to vent sex her as she wouldn't have liked that and I don't mind if she's male or female.

The main reason I thought she was male was because I've seen her humping things. I've watched her hump squishmallows exactly how male quail hump females. I've even walked in on her standing on top of a female quail (Spot) that lives with her. I thought she was about to do to her what she does to poor little 7 inch squishmallows.

The only reason I know she is female is because this morning she laid a soft-shelled egg. She had a prolapse and was partially egg bound. She would've died if it hadn't been for @Nabiki 's great advice. I have added extra calcium to their diet and I hope that has fixed the problem.

Has anyone else had a female quail act like a male in every way possible? She doesn't do it properly on actual quail but goes all out on soft toys.
It doesn't really matter to me if she keeps doing this or not, I'm just curious 🤔

Info about the bird:
Breed: Japanese Jumbo/ Coturnix
Species: Quail
Colour: Silver
Diet: Mix of Gamebird starter and chick starter dusted with calcium + Shell grit and barley seeds dusted with calcium + dried mealworms (treat only)
View attachment 3563013View attachment 3563017View attachment 3563021
It's a dominant thing, my female PipPip does that with Sweetpea and it when she feels like every thing is in her bubble. However it might just be a bullying thing in your case.

I haven't seen her be hyper or hump anything since she was injured. It's so sad 😢
Thanks for your help! I was just wondering, because it doesn't seem like a normal thing for a quail or any bird to do.

I have an older chicken hen that does this. She even grew spurs when she turned 4 yrs old, but still lays eggs. Weird!

My neighbors had a female dog, when I was a kid, she had a slumber party, that dog was humping everyone's sleeping bags & pillows.

I have no idea why these crazy things happen either, but apparently is isn't limited to quail, 😆

Back
Top Bottom