Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I gave mine a few days then set 12 eggs 17 days later 12 chicks hatched.

On another note I had a hen I thought I would loose. I notice a few days ago that one had her wings hanging. I couldn't find anything wrong with her. Last night one looked broody... I picked it up and it looked dazed and couldn't walk. I figured she would be dead this am. When I went out this morning I couldn't tell which one it was all of them were running around fine.

I got my first Quail today!!!!! I have been looking for someone in my area that had some and I couldn't find anyone. Saw an old buddy of mine today at a flea market i was checking out to see if they had any and he said I should go over to Savannah, Tn to the Crump Flea Market cause they have ALL KINDS of animals for sale there every weekend. I grabbed 2 of my 3 rabbits and 6 of my baby Silkie chicks I have been hatching out and loaded them up in the car and drove the 35 miles over to Savannah to see what they had and see if I could get rid of some of mine also.

I found someone with COTURNIX quail and got me a dozen of them. I got 3 males and 9 females. Found someone who wanted my extra Silkies so I sold them. It looked like I was going to be bringing those rabbits back with me when someone came up to me when I was loading up the quail and wanted the rabbits. Sold them too.

Yeah. that opened up 2 more hutches I can use for all these baby chicks my broody hens are hatching out for me......

Jayare

I got my first Quail today!!!!! I have been looking for someone in my area that had some and I couldn't find anyone. Saw an old buddy of mine today at a flea market i was checking out to see if they had any and he said I should go over to Savannah, Tn to the Crump Flea Market cause they have ALL KINDS of animals for sale there every weekend. I grabbed 2 of my 3 rabbits and 6 of my baby Silkie chicks I have been hatching out and loaded them up in the car and drove the 35 miles over to Savannah to see what they had and see if I could get rid of some of mine also.

I found someone with COTURNIX quail and got me a dozen of them. I got 3 males and 9 females. Found someone who wanted my extra Silkies so I sold them. It looked like I was going to be bringing those rabbits back with me when someone came up to me when I was loading up the quail and wanted the rabbits. Sold them too.

Yeah. that opened up 2 more hutches I can use for all these baby chicks my broody hens are hatching out for me......

Jayare

WTG thats what I call win-win! I am processing a bunch this weekend, so will be hatching more again soon.

I never really sell chicks, too fragile to ship and have never had any requests.

That said, they ought to be worth 50 cents apiece, 1st week, going up as you invest feed over time.

But I'm thinking from the perspective that someone orders them, not just showing up wanting my stock.

If I had to run an incubator it would be a $30.00 minimum (for less than 60 chicks) I would prefer to do

them by the hundred.

The .50 cent price is straight run of course,(personally I would add .50 week) once they hit age to sex then $2 roo / $6 hen.

HTH

ETA;

K if you don't want to sell her your birds, put her in touch, I'll crank her off 100 for $50.00 if she can wait 18 days.

Her choice white, brown, golden or any mix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by K Epp

How much do you sale coturnix chicks for?

I paid $3.00 each for mine. They gotta be about 3 to 4 weeks old. The guy picked out 3 males and 9 females for me like I asked for and showed me how to tell the difference between them. The roos are already trying to crow.

Jayare

Why an I having such a hard time expanding my flock?. I currently have 3 males and 2 females. I have incubated 3x in the last month and half in set about 14 each time. 2-3 hatch and die within the week. I dry incubate. What an I doing wrong?

Thank you.

She is coming to get chickens Friday and wants to get them then.

Next question.

At what age are they feathered out enough to go with out a heat source? I have two week olds are they ready?

Back
Top Bottom