Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

They don't begin to generate their own body heat until 4 weeks of age. The first week they should be kept at 95* and every seven days lower the temperature by 5* for the first month. By the end of that month they will be fully feathered and able to keep their own body temperature consistent.

Thank you.

She is coming to get chickens Friday and wants to get them then.

Next question.

At what age are they feathered out enough to go with out a heat source? I have two week olds are they ready?

K, I have other birds, I have 16 5 week (just fully feathered) ready to go, but again, I'm not trying to steal your sale, just trying to help, if you don't want to sell yours, or if you need to replace yours.

K, I have other birds, I have 16 5 week (just fully feathered) ready to go, but again, I'm not trying to steal your sale, just trying to help, if you don't want to sell yours, or if you need to replace yours.

I'll tell her. I don't know that she will want to drive that far. If I could figure out how to brood 100 I wold get you to hatch a round for my freezer. That would be a lot better than 12 at a time.

I'll tell her. I don't know that she will want to drive that far. If I could figure out how to brood 100 I wold get you to hatch a round for my freezer. That would be a lot better than 12 at a time.

Heh, get a bigger brooder...Seriously, If I can help you- just yell at me.

Why an I having such a hard time expanding my flock?. I currently have 3 males and 2 females. I have incubated 3x in the last month and half in set about 14 each time. 2-3 hatch and die within the week. I dry incubate. What an I doing wrong?
What do you mean dry incubate?

How old are your breeders?

What temperature and humidity are you incubating at? Type of incubator, forced air or still? How are you brooding your chicks?

Thank you.

She is coming to get chickens Friday and wants to get them then.

Next question.

At what age are they feathered out enough to go with out a heat source? I have two week olds are they ready?
Ha, here in summer chicks go out without a heat source except maybe at night for the first week or two.

By three to five weeks they may not need a heat source depending on your temps.

How much do you sale coturnix chicks for?
Here newly hatched chicks sell for $2, increasing with the age of the chicks and adults $5-8. Organic raised birds are a buck or few more.

Why an I having such a hard time expanding my flock?. I currently have 3 males and 2 females. I have incubated 3x in the last month and half in set about 14 each time. 2-3 hatch and die within the week. I dry incubate. What an I doing wrong?
What temp are you incubating? And the chicks, brooder temp? I feed the highest gamebird starter or chick feed I can find, and actually mash it up more, spread it by sprinkling on paper towel for them.
If you post you process we can help you figure it out.

Meant to add, I sell a breeding trio for $16 or a quad for $20.
Those will be about 6 weeks old. If that's too pricey I will just process them, is what I tell people.
I rarely keep them past 8 weeks! Its just wasting food on them at that point.
I will be rotating breeders soon, mine are well over a year old now.

Well I have a disaster. Went school shopping faith the kids. Left mama cat in garage with kittens and incubator hatching 12 quail eggs. Came out this am to a open incubator. I found 1 bidding and cold. I put it back in the incubator and it seems to be recovering. Not the first sign of the other 11. Midnight snack I guess. :(

Well I have a disaster. Went school shopping faith the kids. Left mama cat in garage with kittens and incubator hatching 12 quail eggs. Came out this am to a open incubator. I found 1 bidding and cold. I put it back in the incubator and it seems to be recovering. Not the first sign of the other 11. Midnight snack I guess.
sad.png

You can't even throw my cat in the bird house, he'll flap his legs till he changes course...had enough beatings to know he doesn't belong there.

Other than a well trained cat, what did you expect to happen? I hear these stories frequently, they left the incubator near the small children or the cat or the dog or the wombat...

Ya just can't do it folks.

PS. sorry K, you learned the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom