Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

My girls are back to giving me 5-6 eggs a day. Still more feathers floating around than usual but at least they are almost back to normal. (7 eggs/day from 8 hens). I had 4 Roos but butchered 1yesterday so down to 3.

Mine are in molt now too, poor things look like somethings attacked them! 3 eggs out of about 25 quail hens today, yikes!!!! I just finished a hatch for our next batch going in the freezer. My poor goldens didnt have a single egg in there, they look half bald.
I am hearing some reports that this winter is expected to be as bad or worse than the last! UGH hope not, I will drop my breeders down to a minimum if it is.

I've heard the same thing about winter being bad. What do I need to do prepare my quail for winter? They are in a block building so there shouldn't be drafts, but it did drop below freezing in there last year.

Mine were ok with freezing temps but we got well below that in Feb. I took my breeders into our garage when it fell below zero. Same with my scovies I brought them all into my porch so I could have electric to add heat for them.

Thank you, I found this information extremely helpful. I am getting my first 5 hens today. I am excited, Ive fallen in love with these cute birds!

Jenn

Okay I need someone to tell me its okay to process the quail hens. In the first batch of 12 I had 3 hens 9 roos. Easy kept one roo and the hens. These are now my breeders. I hatched off 3 groups of 12 from them. Group #1 5 hens 4 roos. Group #2 cat ate. Group #3 1 hen 7 roos.

Its time to process group #1. I've tried to find a market for the eggs, but haven't. I don't need 9 hens to feed over winter. I pulled the hen and a roo from group #3 and have them and a hen from #1. I'm thinking I may trade those for a turkey or keep at least the pair from #3.

What else to do? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Every year I replace my breeding stock and eat all of the last years hens. There will be some eggs inside when you clean them but its not like those eggs are alive or anything. No need to feel bad about it. They only live so long anyway.

Back
Top Bottom