Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

these little boogers still aren't laying. I took some inside into an area of the house they'd be safe get a full 16 hour grow-light "sun" on a timer.(Just to see if they are getting somehow better light as required than the otheres) they are on game bird feed mixed with flock raiser. (3:1 in favor of game bird feed) They have constant access to water, more dust bathing area than they know what to do with, protection form the elements, shade or sun if they wish (can go from one end to the other freely) They get meal worms two or three tmes a week. Granted I just moved their hutch to a safer and better lit area of the yard, but their actual hutch itself stayed the same (view is just different). They get grass clippings and household green scraps during the week as well. What else can I be doing to get these hens to lay? (some are hens, some ar emales) The ones outside and the ones inside withthe light on a timer are fed the same, watered the same, offered the same treats...and neither group are laying.

Last edited:
Great information Monarc...should have read this BEFORE I sent you the email with a million questions!
big_smile.png

Hey Niki! I am now getting 5 to 6 eggs a day from my Coturnix. The A&M's though, arent laying. At least I dont think they are. Does anyon know what color eggs that the A&M's will lay?

Thanks!
Cody!!

Quote:
That's great to hear Cody!

A & Ms lay the same colored eggs that any other coturnix does
smile.png
So they may be laying
smile.png
However, I've come to realize that A & Ms are a pain when it comes to reproduction. I dont even have a pen of them anymore, I just use them for incorporating other colors
smile.png

Quote:

smile.png
So they may be laying
smile.png
However, I've come to realize that A & Ms are a pain when it comes to reproduction. I dont even have a pen of them anymore, I just use them for incorporating other colors
smile.png

Well, now they are all laying. I get about 1 dozen eggs form my quail each day!

Thanks for all your help. I am truly glad that I was finally able to get quail!

Cody!!

Quote:

smile.png
So they may be laying
smile.png
smile.png

Well, now they are all laying. I get about 1 dozen eggs form my quail each day!

Thanks for all your help. I am truly glad that I was finally able to get quail!

Cody!!

you're welcome and im glad you were finnally able to get them too!
smile.png

Are we SURE females do not crow?!
I think one of mine layed an egg today and crowed about it!!!
A&M...and I was going to avoid the vent sexing and go by crowing...beginning to question reliability of crowing as a male trait...
Maybe I should question the reliability of my eyesight, instead?!

Roy

Back
Top Bottom