Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

anyone got a helpful fact to deal with black flies or gnats? Moved my birds outside for first time today... within an hour-- all but one is dead or dying, we'll see how many in the morning are still alive... I think it was the gnats.

How old are they? It could've been a temperature problem as well. I like to harden everything off by allowing them to range for a few minutes per day, then increase the times until it's warm enough to leave them outside for good. :)

2.5 weeks old, almost 3. fully feathered out.. have not had heat or lights for 2 weeks now.

Upon inspecting, the black flies had covered the birds on their necks- and the necks were all bright red. Took back into the shed- doused with 7 bug dust.. and 4 survived.

I purchased 25 Japanese quail as chicks, two died and one hen appears to be unable to walk for the past several weeks...she eats and drinks and I separated her out, but no idea what is wrong with her....If anyone has any ideas?

I ended up with 11 hens and 11 roosters
I had five a&m in with them from the beginning but yesterday found one badly damaged head on an A&M and removed it and today found another badly damaged and bleeding head and removed it. I am unsure how to tell sex on an A&M.

Up to this point I had them all together

I immediately removed the hens and split them into two cages and added one rooster to each cage.

My question, can I keep the 9 roosters together in a single cage if there are no hens in the cage?
Several of the roos seem very distraught that I removed the hens, sticking their heads out of the cage wire and crowing continually.
I don't really want to eat them, but what do I do with 9 extra roosters?

Thank you.

Your hen likely has a broken leg or hip issue. its seen fairly often with large groups and its worse on wire. Getting the extra roos out will help you all the way around. less stress on hens, less aggression. You'll be fine keeping a roo cage. I eat the extras, but you could sell them on CL. Get some "blu kote" for the bloody heads, its a common thing with coturnix. Hard to say if its a hen or roo because either will scalp if the mood strikes...Shoot for a ratio of somewhere around 4 or 5 to 1 in a community pen. Id hold a couple extra roos around "just in case" if ya can stand the crow'n. Good luck with your birds, Bill

Last edited:
Your hen likely has a broken leg or hip issue. its seen fairly often with large groups and its worse on wire. Getting the extra roos out will help you all the way around. less stress on hens, less aggression. You'll be fine keeping a roo cage. I eat the extras, but you could sell them on CL. Get some "blu kote" for the bloody heads, its a common thing with coturnix. Hard to say if its a hen or roo because either will scalp if the mood strikes...Shoot for a ratio of somewhere around 4 or 5 to 1 in a community pen. Id hold a couple extra roos around "just in case" if ya can stand the crow'n. Good luck with your birds, Bill
Thank you so much...the hen is not getting any better and it has been two weeks, should I dispatch her?
I did not have blu kote, so I used Koppertox and Vetricyn wound spray...they both seem to be doing better, but the one that was scalped yesterday wound is still oozing...

I split the hens into two cages...5 hens and a roo in one cage and 6 hens and a roo in another...
This ration should fit in with your suggestion of 4 to 5 in a community pen...I have pens that are 24 x 36 and am thinking that should work well for 6 or 7 couturnix. I have not started giving them extra light but give them oyster shell and grit free choice so that when they do start laying the extra calcium should help them I think.

Thank you again.

Thank you so much...the hen is not getting any better and it has been two weeks, should I dispatch her?
I did not have blu kote, so I used Koppertox and Vetricyn wound spray...they both seem to be doing better, but the one that was scalped yesterday wound is still oozing...

I split the hens into two cages...5 hens and a roo in one cage and 6 hens and a roo in another...
This ration should fit in with your suggestion of 4 to 5 in a community pen...I have pens that are 24 x 36 and am thinking that should work well for 6 or 7 couturnix. I have not started giving them extra light but give them oyster shell and grit free choice so that when they do start laying the extra calcium should help them I think.

Thank you again.

Well ending a bird is a very personal thing. Myself , yes, I would end her suffering and be done with it.... I culled coturnix hard anyway thou. If you do cull this bird I would'nt eat a bird I culled for medical or health reasons... But thats just me! The extra roos are very good on the grill and can be cleaned in about 2 mins each...

I think your pen size and ratios sound good! The head wound will heal so fast you'll be amazed. it seems birds have "super healing" ability.... Watch spraying that stuff around the eyes, it does not seem to blind them, but its visually painful if they shake their head and it ends up in the eyes.

I would suggest you keep a extra roo or two just in case one your use'n takes a beating or finds a new way to "OFF" himself... Seems like my birds are always on the look out for a new way to kill them selves!! Good Luck, Bill

Maybe you can help me. Everything I have read has been very informative and helpful. I do have a problem though you might be able to help with. On Mon. 7/23 I was able to hatch 21 pharaohs out of 30. The problem I have is as of today 4 has died. One day before they died they started having seizures...flipping and flopping all over. Then they would lay on their backs. I picked them up set them down and they began to furiously peck at themselves. Any clue what this might be? All help greatly appreciated. This is my first hatch and I just put another in. Thx....Charlie

Back
Top Bottom