Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Scissors just got here, all ready to process!
It was supposed to be almost 70 & sunny tomorrow morning, now they are saying raining & a high of 49
sad.png

Can't wait to try this quail meat!

Scissors just got here, all ready to process!
It was supposed to be almost 70 & sunny tomorrow morning, now they are saying raining & a high of 49
sad.png

Can't wait to try this quail meat!
Just remember that quail is a delicate flavor and don't overpower it with other flavors.

And this weather eh? It just sucks!

Well, bacon is the best thing in the world so I don't think you did any harm LOL!

Just butchered 8 in 30 min., not bad at all.

I don't know what that means?
Like wring or break their neck?
I don't know I never liked that way, we always have the heads cut off all my birds, seems more instant/humane, at least to me.
(And when I say "we" I mean my husband haha. He does all the killing I can't deal, but I'm a control freak so I have to micromanage the whole process ;) )
I'm late to this conversation, and it sounds like they've been processed already, but to me, "necking" or quite bluntly, twisting and pulling the head off in one quick, strong movement is by far the fastest, quickest, and most humane way to dispatch these birds. Unless you are suffering from arthritis or have another reason why this would be a difficult task, it is instantaneous. It is the same amount of pressure needed to shuck an ear of corn, if not less. Obviously, err on the side of too hard and too fast, but they are very tender little necks.

Sorry to be a little graphic, but it just seems much more humane and quick and safe than fiddling with shears on the heads.

in the end I couldn't wring their necks. I bopped on the head and cut with the scissors. I'm not planning on processing any more... even though they were delicious...

I don't blame you. I'm a city girl, formal vegan, never even killed a bug haha. My husband is responsible for all the killing/skinning/gutting, then he brings the bird to the back door & I wash it off, break it down, & vacuum seal it all. Works quicker that way, I won't be involved in the killing at all.

(Though I have killed my pet chickens before, it was absolutely horrible, I cried like a baby. Long story short I got chickens without knowing anything about them. After 5 months still no eggs was getting feed at the store & saw it was a flock swap. They were selling laying hens, looked really healthy, I bought some and brought them home. I didn't know anything about chicken diseases or quarantine or anything. Within a few weeks it was apparent the ones I brought home were carriers of some respiratory disease. Spread through the flock, all of them got sick, others on BYC informed me the responsible thing to do would be cull the whole flock, rest the land, get rid of all coops, and start over after a few months. My husband was in Afghanistan so had to kill all the pet chickens alone. It was bad. BUT while I still won't process any, it made me open to the idea of raising for meat (before that I wouldn't), and I'll handle the birds, I just can't bring myself to do it. I expose my children to it though. I think the younger they understand it and see raising and killing your own meat for food as "normal" the easier it will be for them. I grew up as a city girl with no farm exposure, no idea where my food came from, and it has been a very difficult (but very rewarding) journey for me. Which is why this forum is so helpful and AWESOME!

Last edited:
How long do I have to rest the quail meat between killing and eating?
Processing them trying to figure out if we can eat for dinner.
I'm assuming rigormortis will set in like in chickens?

Back
Top Bottom