Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

maybe split into 2 groups. One with 2 hens and one with 3 if you have the space.
I personally would avoid doing that. Depends on the roo, but the two pens that I have with a 1:2 ratio are going to freezer camp as soon as I find time. The roos just torment the two hens, as it doesn't seem to be enough to keep him, hmmmmmm, busy otherwise. I have 100% fertility rate in those two pens, but I also have bald hens that only lay an egg every other day. Just seem to be stressed out.

My thought on the infertility: how old are the hens? How old is the rooster? What is your weather like right now? I would think younger birds and/or cold and dark weather is playing more of a part than ratio. My one rooster last fall was in with 8 hens and I got an 80% hatch on my first batch of eggs. Be careful about splitting them up, too, because it could be hard to put them back together. They seem to get testy.

Just my 2 cents.

That makes sense. I think I'm going off what my male is like... mine are getting bald patches, but he is gentle for the most part. I have a 3:1 ratio.
Yeah, it's probably what you are NOT seeing when you are not around that is causing the female pattern baldness in your hens. :) How are your girls doing egg wise? Are you getting 3 eggs/day in that pen?

Back
Top Bottom