Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Mine are in a covey 8 birds, 2 males 6 females. I have heard that trios work well for lots of folks. I avoid pairs because sometimes the poor girls need a break.

The good news is there are always lots of extra males! :gig

I need some more female A&Ms... :/

Curious--

How many of you skin your quail & how many pluck?
Due to the sheer volume we skinned them all (first time eating or raising quail).
I was reading an article online about plucking ducks & the guy said that he will only pluck his quail because they taste completely different with skin.

I was wondering what those with experience thought/did?

I don't have quail yet but thought I'd chime in since I've done it both ways with chickens. It is faster to skin them no matter the size. I didn't have a big enough pot for scalding so we tried skinning-fast and efficient! I am sure it would take no more than a minute or two with something as small as a quail. An added bonus is no gutting:)

Curious--

How many of you skin your quail & how many pluck?
Due to the sheer volume we skinned them all (first time eating or raising quail).
I was reading an article online about plucking ducks & the guy said that he will only pluck his quail because they taste completely different with skin.

I was wondering what those with experience thought/did?

The breeder I got my goldens from has a FB page, he does pluck, guess its more like rubbing/rolling off the feathers. I do want to try them with the skin on.
I have about 100 growing out now, and about 20 to keep as breeders. First round will be 22 I will process this weekend sometime. If I do get time to do them, will give it a try and post.

Back
Top Bottom