Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

A feral animal can survive on it's own. there is no way to consider coturnix feral. They have been bred in captivity to isolate specific characteristics for over a thousand years. Some evidence suggests as much as four thousand years. The domestic coturnix that we raise are just that domesticated. They differ from wild coturnix in size, behavior, vocalization, reproductive habits, etc.

Cats can be called feral because if released they will survive. Coturnix assuming they survived predators which they can barely do when you keep them in a fort knox type cage, would migrate straight into the gulf of mixco as they have done in the past when released. To be called feral a domestic animal must be able to survive under it's own care in the wild. Coturnix could never do that.

In most states free ranging quail is considered release and would require a permit. On top of that it's just a bad idea. Everything eats quail. Cats, dogs, raccoon, skunks, weasels, crows, ravens, hawks, falcons, are all concerns. I regularly have red shouldered hawks and merlins sittings on my cages. They learn where caged birds are and they won't forget they'll stop by every time they are in town.

Careful vent sexing coturnix. If a roo covers a hen that day, the foam can be present in the vent for many hours. Often the 'roosters' people find vent sexing are hens 12 hours later.
I didn't even think of that. Hopefully I'll be able to take a picture of it today next to one of my known males.

Edited to add picture. :)

I'm not sure if you can see the spots on the breast... They are dark and somewhat faint. I can add arrows or circles if need be.

Last edited:
Oh! Sorry to double post, but I wanted to ask... Does anyone sell "lavender" Coturnix?

This is the color I've seen called lavender... I really do love it. Unfortunately, it seems like the ones sold around here are just Pharaoh. While I intend on using them for dual purpose, I would still like to have pretty birds. My goal is to have all lavender birds. :)

Hi,
This was lovely to read, really helpful!
I am new to it and managed to hatch only 6 jumbo quails, unfortunately 2 died straight after hatching so we were left with 4.
One had curled toes but i managed to put plaster on them and within a day it was walking around so next day i removed plaster (very very gently) and it was great.
One other had sprayed legs :), again plaster came handy to keep them in something like good distance apart and again ''chick' was walking after 2 days of this treatment so i took plaster off.
So many events with so little quails but it was very educational.
I only have 2 adult ones-male & female left outside where they are in large rabbit hatch and also outside run next to chickens (but not with them), it is all secure-no possibility of flying out.
My babies are nearly 4 weeks old and i was hoping they can join adults soon. They are 2 boys and 2 girls.
Some people say you can put them outside by 6 weeks of age.
I am slightly concerned how to introduce them, if it is not too cold out there being late October in UK and also if 6 weeks is adult enough to join outdoors...
Please give me your thoughts on this.
Many thanks!
Izabela

Quail are naturally from cold climates giving them a heat lamp when the temp is above zero is not necessary and doesn't really do them any favors. As long as all drafts are blocked with plastic that is more than enough to keep quail safe and thrifty.

To LavenderCrow regards lavender quail, silver quail see picture https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565880/japanese-coturnix-quail-color-varieties/20 post 26

Robby Richard, of James Marie Farms, ( http://www.jamesmariefarms.com/index.html) in Church Point, Louisiana, USA has just this year imported some from canada ,I dont know if he is selling eggs or birds, he got them from P & L Gamebirds - Perry Schofield, DeBolt, Alberta Canada. You might inquire at James Marie Farms
Thank you! I will contact them and ask. The first link (BYC) said that breeding silver x silver is lethal? What would be a good color to mix it with? The "cream/blonde" varieties seem pretty, as do the fawn...

Back
Top Bottom