Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

It's a terrible idea. Assuming they don't squish the eggs or squish the babies thats a huge biosecurity risk just to hatch some quail. Buy pigeons or doves if you must hatch without an incubator. There is so much less chance of disease transfer there and the mothers are small enough not to smash the eggs.

A member in the past (ChickenLegs13) ran a thread where a bantam was used to brood eggs. Of the 15 that hatched none survived past two weeks. The ones that didn't get squished to death by chicken feet died from unknown circumstances. During mild weather, under the watch of an experienced fowl keeper. Those are pretty poor odds. Even if you pulled the chicks at hatch, you still have the fact that they spent so much time in contact with a disease farm..um...I mean chicken.

I built a quail pen in my area where the chickens hang out. The quail pair is thoroughly entertained by watching the chickens and the chickens are curious about the quail but nothing bad has happened yet. My pair are young and this will be the first season they lay eggs and hopefully fertile ones. Currently I have quail eggs in a hovabator with chicken eggs. Ill keep the curious posted on if I ever get a successful hatch or not.

Back
Top Bottom