Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

For me 'treats' are anything they need grit to eat.
BOSS to add some extra fat to her diet.
Chicken for some added protein...things like that. I don't care if she is an older bird. As long as she is healthy.

I am trying to figure out what color she is.

I am thinking Pharoh?
Jekka, Here is a link to help you identify most of the common varieties of Japanese Coturnix quail that you will read about here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565880/japanese-coturnix-quail-color-varieties.
I agree that being new to something will always come with lots and lots of reading, listening, and knowledge overload. I have read most of your questions and responses in this thread one thing I didn't see was the fact that quail are insectivores, which means they eat meat protein and the feed stores carry only grain feeds. Your new bundle of joy needs meat protein... I use a turkey starter crumble that has 28% protein, that is the highest % I have found in my area and I add fish meal to that to boost the % above 40%. My birds are growing big and healthy and the breeding programs are bountiful with a hatch rate around 75%. I do not give them any extra calcium because I don not see any need for it. Fish meal, dried or live meal worms are excellent sources of meat protein.
The only quail that I have read about being carnivores are the Bobwhites, they will catch and eat smaller birds and rodents AND other quail. I have seen (in my quail pens) males attacking weaker males, females attacking younger males who get a little rough when learning to mate. You have to constantly change roomies until you find the group that gets along.
Space is the other factor when it comes to fighting. I'm guessing the people who had the single quail probably had a lot cooped up together in a tight space... you can only imagine! Quail are very easy to raise if given the basic needs and before too long you may have more than you need....

Today...wait it was actually yesterday... I bought a bag of Game Bird feed that has 30% Protein. So far she has refused to eat any of the tuna or chicken I have offered her. I am still trying to find a feed mill near me to buy fish meal from. Most in my area use soybean meal which is 40% protein. I am going to buy her some live mealworms tomorrow...well actually later today...
My daughter saw her lay an egg and so now keeps calling her Momma Bird...I wanted to call her Cricket because of the sound she makes but my daughter didn't understand why I thought she was like a cricket and so she has been named Momma Bird instead.

The Game bird starter you bought is exactly what you need IMHO... The refuse'n any food that is new goes back to hate'n anything new. Eventually she may love the tuna.... A lot of them love yogurt too. But it takes a while. It sounds like your bird is settling right in.... You realize the bird's name is "Mamma Bird" right.... ;-) Good luck

Last edited:
From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
We currently have 8 dozen refrigerated chicken eggs for sale at $5 a doz. Organic, non-GMO, free range, and Christian. We also have fertile barnyard mix quail eggs for sale at $3 a doz. for hatching or eating, Golden A&M eggs for $6 doz., Tuxedo eggs for $10 doz., Pharaohs for $5 doz. Located in So. Cal., Riverside area.

Back
Top Bottom