Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

What colour is she? Is she alone? My pair have been here 2 weeks and not one egg :(

She is the wild/pharoh color. I went out to buy fertile chicken eggs and was given her for free when I mentioned I wanted to start raising quail and had some in an incubator. She was the sole survivor of their attempt to raise quail on chicken feed and not supplement their protein. They all turner super aggressive and massacred each other until only one was left. I don't know how many she stared with.

Pharoah :) Wild type

Are you sure??? She looks nothing like my other chicks!!!! (Left to right: jumbo wild ,the first one I want to know the color of, the tux? I want to know the color of)

The tux?

Last edited:
I've got five cots, all white, in the house that were two days late. All five of them have wry neck and are being supplemented. Out of all of those eggs, I wonder why these five came out wry? I'm guessing same as chickens, temperature.

We've got another 300 going into the hatcher on Thursday. Most are presold. Anyone else hatching?
My Hova has been non-stop since I got it in November. Pharaohs, A&Ms, Tibetans, and Tuxedos... We just upgraded to the quail trays and now have 120 breeding project quails due next week. I'm working on Tuxedos and Golden Tux...

Congrats on the new bird! And the first egg!! Coturnix are creatures that hate change... Change = stress in a coturnix world.... They are also usually stressed by "alone".... If I were in your situation. I think I would limit all the stress I could and leave her on the chicken feed. Especially if you plan to find something more appropriate soon. Boss wont hurt her if given with some form of grit. But its only 17 to 24% protein so its not gonna help you alot. Some form of grit is a must if you feed any grain or seeds. Your oyster shell will help here too.If you cant find game bird starter, turkey starter usually runs pretty high in protein content too. I would expect your hen to only lay a couple more eggs before she shuts down in protest of the new living arrangements. Its normal. You made changes in her life so, "No eggs for you!!!".....This will last anywhere from a week to the end of time.... ;-) Good luck, Bill

So how long should I expect her to keep laying before she stops laying in protest to all these changes? We got her Thursday night and she has given us an egg a day so far...

Sorry I have no clue about quail colors...

Until my eggs hatch I only have one quail and I just got her.

And she is spoiled rotten already

So how long should I expect her to keep laying before she stops laying in protest to all these changes? We got her Thursday night and she has given us an egg a day so far...
Usually 2 or 3 days..... I would have expected her to stop already...... Maybe she is just gonna settle in and keep right on lay'n! Hope it works out for you.... Bill

Each birds are different, I have gotten eggs from girls on the drive home from picking them up. Some of my girls continue to lay daily after I rotate them to new pens. Generally, if they are happy and healthy they should keep laying. That said, they may stop for a couple of days if you wear a blue shirt while you are cleaning and feeding them. lol

Back
Top Bottom