Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

..they are still dancing (wiggling) and getting ready (resting) to boogie but seem like they are taking a long time.
The first 4 (same batch of quail eggs) hatched at day 15, 16, and 17~ The remaining 6 are still moving..just not pipping.

The temp stayed constant with the exception of taking 4 chicks out to go into the brooder.
And an occasional misting and a damp paper towel placement within the last couple of days...

..I think it's really super duper late... but they just keep moving around - hard to ignore.

Am I seeing things?? Do I just end the incubation?

th.gif

..hmm okay - I will muster up some courage and try...
barnie.gif

It's really unbelievable that they are still inside the egg~
Moving around..in the egg!!

hu.gif
and
hide.gif

..no the fan isn't moving them around..
I know b/c they are still at one moment then really moving the next...
..with "breaks" in between.

I am really not going for the intervention... but breaks me when I think of the difficulty they might be having..

..not feeling so good~
hit.gif

If they cant make it out on their own they probably arent fit too. Incubation is a skill that grows with practice just chalk this up as a learning experience and move on. Youre making test tube babies, sometimes you screw up. We all have. I understand everyones desire to save the life each chick but if you keep good notes youll find over time, the chicks that dont hatch easy and on time arent usually quality birds to begin with. Even when you hatch the best stock there is, over time, youll find plenty of culls. Its part of raising livestock.

If you really want to assist hatches you should research it very well. It is as easy to kill a chick as it is to save it during an assisted hatch.

If they cant make it out on their own they probably arent fit too. Incubation is a skill that grows with practice just chalk this up as a learning experience and move on. Youre making test tube babies, sometimes you screw up. We all have. I understand everyones desire to save the life each chick but if you keep good notes youll find over time, the chicks that dont hatch easy and on time arent usually quality birds to begin with. Even when you hatch the best stock there is, over time, youll find plenty of culls. Its part of raising livestock.

If you really want to assist hatches you should research it very well. It is as easy to kill a chick as it is to save it during an assisted hatch.

Well said! Thank you~

idunno.gif

..they are still wiggling and dancing around..seems like they do it when I flash a light on them~
I thought that they may have stopped altogether as this morning, they weren't moving.
But I just spent the last 25 min with them and all 6 are on the go~

..I'll sit and wait it out~
hide.gif

Once you remove the courtnix roosters how long will the hens continue to lay fertile eggs? I processed my older roosters 10 days ago keeping a young male in their place that is not yet breeding. Now I have a customer wanting chicks. Would any of their eggs be fertile from the former roosters?

Back
Top Bottom