Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Or don't get insulted since you don't really know most of these people. ;)

By all means ask any questions. That's why I'm here is to answer any questions that I can. I do tend to be blunt but I don't try to be offensive.

Thank you jchny2000 and hosspak. my new coop will have a 10x7 pen for LFCochin, a 3x6 pen for a broody or injured bird or extra roo, then I had hoped to put a small batch of quail in the last 3x3 space. We are still working out the layout. Hubby says put it here and I am like ummm that's not where I want it. so yeah , I am not real set on the cochin pen being that size but I have to go where the joists are. grrrr. I want plywood along the bottom of all the pens to better separate them and that too is being an issue. I am starting to ask who is the bird nut here that does all the research on this subject???? so tired of being told no and having to refind the info to show the guys. I need a beer now just thinking about it.
Hang in there, and be strong on what you want. The fellas are not thinking daily workings like we would! It needs to be easy so stand your ground, make them do it your way!
hugs.gif

I am just sharing my experience. Folks can read what all have to share and go from there with their own set ups. Others have given thumbs up on my quail pen design when I first shared it. I will also share any issues that I have with my set up. So far I have had none.
You had a bad experience and so you are sharing that to give folks a heads up. I dont think any of us on here are experts in this field.. I sure am not an expert and have never claimed that my way of doing this is the best.

Sorry to ask, but Hosspak would you mind enough to post some pics. of your setup??? maybe others who had problems can post pics to so we can compare??? there may be a detail that other breeders are missing, that causes your birds to thrive while others are dieing??? I think it is safe to assume most breeders here get their birds from reliable sources, and feed them as well as they can. Its a possibility that your setup has that one key detail that others could lack.........

Also if anyone disagrees with this suggestion I ask you to just shake your head, think I'm crazy and find another Thread to post on. Thank you!!!

Sorry to ask, but Hosspak would you mind enough to post some pics. of your setup??? maybe others who had problems can post pics to so we can compare??? there may be a detail that other breeders are missing, that causes your birds to thrive while others are dieing??? I think it is safe to assume most breeders here get their birds from reliable sources, and feed them as well as they can. Its a possibility that your setup has that one key detail that others could lack.........

Also if anyone disagrees with this suggestion I ask you to just shake your head, think I'm crazy and find another Thread to post on. Thank you!!!
My set up is nothing special but it is very functional in my small backyard. This is the chicken run/coop it's 12X24 ft. There is a rabbit hutch just at the left side in this picture

This is what the rabbit hutch looks like, I currently have a breeding group of Jumbo quail set up in there.

This is a chicken coop from Costco, we had been keeping our female quail in here for growing out.

We also kept some OE chicks to grow out with the quail.

We added this aviary to house our male quails.

Now we have 12 of these crates that house several different varieties of quail breeding groups and a few growout groups.

It might also be good teaching and sharing for those who have had problems to share their set ups. I know that is a lot to ask but that is the only way we can gain knowledge and work to improve our quail and other fowl keeping techniques. Kingmt and any others who have lost quail due to proximity to chickens why not share your pictures so others can see your fatal set ups. Many different species of birds and fowl are kept together in aviaries. This is not unusual. It this is such a problem why do you see this happening successfully?

Viruses and bacteria that cause infection are everywhere. I have read that if you have chickens you have the Mereks virus and yet not everyone vaccinates for it and not everyone who doesnt vaccinate loses their flocks to it.

Everyone should share their experiences so others can learn.

Quote: Wow that looks like a little village!!! you let the quail run around out with the chickens? or do you keep them in their hutches???

Quote: YES please everyone who can share their chicken/quail setups please do so and tell us if it was successful or unsuccessful!!!

Since I proposed it and it has been "seconded" Ill start.
My hard learning experiences:

When I first got my quail I bought two immature but mature enough to tell male and female pair. They played together well and then the female started laying eggs. Quick to follow the male started crowing and pursuing the female to mate. Since I was trying to up the number but in the flock by hatching offspring it was taking a long time. The poor female was being pursued relentlessly such that I started separating the two for periods of time so she could have a break from his advances. Well one night (I always brought them in at night and housed them in pet carriers, at first the same carrier, then different ones for the break) because I was not certain that they would be safe outside in their pen within their aviary. Well one night I decided to let them stay together again and I heard it happen....he most likely chased her around the pet carrier and she must have sprung up and cracked her head maybe breaking her neck. I found her dead in the morning. It was heart breaking. I have subsequently padded the carrier inside top and my male now has four females rather than just one. I put a sheet on the top of the pen for that very reason too. Now they can jump and not hurt themselves.
Also the problem with trying to hatch eggs as they dribble out one each day....isnt good. Small numbers or single quail hatching dont brood well. They are too delicate for me to mother them like I can a chick so they need a group to hatch at once in order to thrive.

Lessons:
Dont keep one female and one male and always provide a soft, giving top to their enclosure.
Incubate and try to hatch a larger number of babies at one time.

Back
Top Bottom