Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

In my experience a wild male and a golden can produce either a wild or a golden.

I have no experience with the Tibetan, sorry.
I agree, I have a mixed group. I have one pen with a tibetan male, pharoah females and all those chicks come out colored tibetian. They seem on the smaller size too, some are only around 10oz dressed, be glad when I upgrade to JMF stock.

I to expect the pharaoh coloring gene to be the more dominant at lease from my experience. I was wondering if anyone knew for sure. I have one golden and three pharaoh with pharaoh males. The eggs I collect are three mottled to one speckled egg so Im pretty sure Im getting the eggs from my Goldie to incubate, but now 100% certain. I am collecting and incubating the speckled eggs and still getting mostly pharaoh colored babies though they might be a little blonder than the pharaoh/pharaoh babies Ive hatched. Every once in a while I do hatch out a golden baby that is very blonde.I will continue to research this and if I find anything Ill share it with you.

Golden is dominant, pharaoh is incomplete dominant. A golden with no pharaoh blood, crossed with a pharaoh will generate golden italians. If you crossed those golden italians over pharaohs again you would get some of each.

Wow thank you for that info on color dominance . Do you think it is possible to tell the difference in the look of the egg between my golden and pharaoh gals? Maybe I just think I can but have been mistaken. I may have to cage my golden for a day by herself in order to get her eggs but I hate to do that as she seems to be happy with the others .

If your birds came from a breeder that manages egg color like JMF, then yes you will be able to tell them apart by the color phase of their parents ie golden birds from Robby will lay eggs with lighter brown spots than pharaohs. A&Ms from jmf will be mostly white with small dark speckles evenly distributed etc.. If you have crossed them though that goes out the window.

If your birds came from a breeder that manages egg color like JMF, then yes you will be able to tell them apart by the color phase of their parents ie golden birds from Robby will lay eggs with lighter brown spots than pharaohs. A&Ms from jmf will be mostly white with small dark speckles evenly distributed etc.. If you have crossed them though that goes out the window.
Good to know. I have sent an order to Robby, and will be raising his pharoah hopefully very soon. I have a mixed flock from several sources and want to start clean with good stock.
MY plan is to cull the current flock and start over. We have kept them 2 years now and decided we want to continue with better quality birds.

Back
Top Bottom