1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix Quail enclosure questions?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by B3NZ0, Jul 17, 2016.

1. B3NZ0

B3NZ0 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    I am looking into getting a few jumbo coturnix quail. I have seen most keep them inside would they be okay outside? How much room do they need? I found a 24x92 hutch I am thinking of getting for them how many could I keep in here?

TIA
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    They handle heat & cold well and do fine outside. Figure about 1 sq ft per bird for layers/breeders, so your cage will handle 15 or so comfortably. The coop you pictured appears to sit on the ground though and you'll have a poop buildup problem if you have stock more than 5-6 unless you move it or clean the poop out regularly.

3. B3NZ0

B3NZ0 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Do you think they would use the coop part of the enclosure?

4. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The top part? No because quail are ground birds, they don't roost or perch off the ground.

5. B3NZ0

B3NZ0 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Right on. Thanks for the guidance!

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard that quail will sometimes go up to sleep if the option is there for them, but I'm not sure. Doesn't it seem a little cramped to be keeping fifteen quail in there at once?

7. weirdones

weirdones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Greenwood Delaware
    No coop is needed. Quail lay eggs where ever they want. 1 sq. ft per bird and don't go more then 12" high because they might jump up and break their necks. Converted rabbits hutches also work. I keep ours in breeding groups of 1 male to 4 females. If for meat then we use a larger pen. Make sure they have room and plenty of food to prevent picking and cannibalism.

8. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

15 birds wouldn't be cramped at all. That pen shown is about 15 sq ft of floor space. 15 birds don't precisely space themselves evenly like a military formation. Imagine 15 floor tiles that are a foot each; 4 birds might be standing in 1 area, 3 in another, 3 by the feeder, 5 in the sandbox, there will be lots of unoccupied areas. A grower cage for young butcher birds might have 100 birds in the same space.
    The pen shown is a 2 hen chicken coop that sits on the ground and it's not suitable for raising any serious amounts of quail.

9. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

In my opinion it's still too small, and as you said it is not the ideal housing for quail anyway. You'd be better off with some kind of run or aviary.

10. mporche

mporche Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2016
    Livonia La
    That cage is ok for 15 birds.I have 45 breeders in a 3x6 pen and don't have any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by