Coturnix Quail enclosure questions?

B3NZ0

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2016
I am looking into getting a few jumbo coturnix quail. I have seen most keep them inside would they be okay outside? How much room do they need? I found a 24x92 hutch I am thinking of getting for them how many could I keep in here?

TIA

They handle heat & cold well and do fine outside. Figure about 1 sq ft per bird for layers/breeders, so your cage will handle 15 or so comfortably. The coop you pictured appears to sit on the ground though and you'll have a poop buildup problem if you have stock more than 5-6 unless you move it or clean the poop out regularly.

I heard that quail will sometimes go up to sleep if the option is there for them, but I'm not sure. Doesn't it seem a little cramped to be keeping fifteen quail in there at once?

No coop is needed. Quail lay eggs where ever they want. 1 sq. ft per bird and don't go more then 12" high because they might jump up and break their necks. Converted rabbits hutches also work. I keep ours in breeding groups of 1 male to 4 females. If for meat then we use a larger pen. Make sure they have room and plenty of food to prevent picking and cannibalism.

I heard that quail will sometimes go up to sleep if the option is there for them, but I'm not sure. Doesn't it seem a little cramped to be keeping fifteen quail in there at once?

15 birds wouldn't be cramped at all. That pen shown is about 15 sq ft of floor space. 15 birds don't precisely space themselves evenly like a military formation. Imagine 15 floor tiles that are a foot each; 4 birds might be standing in 1 area, 3 in another, 3 by the feeder, 5 in the sandbox, there will be lots of unoccupied areas. A grower cage for young butcher birds might have 100 birds in the same space.
The pen shown is a 2 hen chicken coop that sits on the ground and it's not suitable for raising any serious amounts of quail.

In my opinion it's still too small, and as you said it is not the ideal housing for quail anyway. You'd be better off with some kind of run or aviary.

Back
Top Bottom