Coturnix quail feed

NancyDz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Dutch Flat, CA
okay so i've already read Monarch's post but I didnt see the amount of detail i'm looking for.

Do you feed coturnix a starter their whole life? I'm using turkey starter, unmedicated 27%protein. But my quail should start laying any day now, should they be getting something else as their base food. Also what's the best calcium supplement for quail? oyster shell? Do i provide it as free fed daily? Does it have to be ground for them now that they are adults?

Thanks!

Nancy

its in there keep looking
smile.png
I do offer oyster shell and they eat the smaller particles as far as I can see, and they love the play sand from home depot that I put in an old cookie tin. They can't decide whether they should eat it all or dustbath in it!

Last edited:
Quote:
it must not be in the section on feeding.. it says feed non medicated game bird feed... nothing about whether it's starter or when you stop starter and feed adult game bird feed if there is such a thing. Also it says to feed oyster shell for calcium but not whether it has to be ground for the adults. So see I want more specifics than I'm seeing there. She has great basics but I need a little more detail.
smile.png
This turkey starter I'm using is 6% fat too... is that too much? Believe me I've read through that thing numerous times and refer to it often.
smile.png

Nancy

I don't grind mine........ but that's because my DW would kill me if i used her new fancy dance kitchen aid to grind up oyster shell
smile.png
My margarita maker on the other hand...... she let me use that...

They pick out the pieces they need. If you don't have high protein Gamebird feed ( I use a purina brand i get from the feed mill) then they recommend turkey feed in the 26+ % protein ratings.

If you aren't giving oyster shell free feed, then you may want to mix in layer ration from time to time for calcium, but i leave my birdies on the 30%.... then again 9 months from now I am hoping to have replaced everyone!

Quote:
weren't you...... couldn't be........ staling again?

I like the idea of a coffee grinder, but honestly, I don't want to buy appliances for the livestock if I don't have to
smile.png
besides, who likes tequila anyways?

Quote:

I like the idea of a coffee grinder, but honestly, I don't want to buy appliances for the livestock if I don't have to
smile.png

Staling? I'm still on hold, this time another department. No tequilia here, but they make good Midori sours
tongue.png
, 1 pt ice, 1 pt midori, 1 pt sween & sour, I'm hopeless, I like booze that tastes like skittles.
roll.png

Quote:

smile.png

Staling? I'm still on hold, this time another department. No tequilia here, but they make good Midori sours
tongue.png
, 1 pt ice, 1 pt midori, 1 pt sween & sour, I'm hopeless, I like booze that tastes like skittles.
roll.png

I meant stalking
tongue.png
Cant spell

Quote:
tongue.png
roll.png

I meant stalking
tongue.png
Cant spell

lol.png
nope, at least, not trying to, city caps hens at 4, but says nothing about quail, so I'm derversifying
big_smile.png
You seem to be on every quail post I come across.

I haven't read my own educational post in forever so I can't say if it is or isnt in there! LOL!

i personally stop feeding the birds chick starter feed when they are around 5-6 weeks old or when they lay an egg whatever I notice first.
smile.png

My feeds are... chick starter 20 some percent....and adult is only 15 percent so I have to suppliment with cat food, boiled mashed up eggs, insects, even meat
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom