Coturnix Quail keep laying soft egg.

Boppo

Crossing the Road
Feb 13, 2022
Eastern Massachusetts
I have 3 hens, and have not figured out who is laying these eggs. About once every 2 weeks I find an egg without the spots, and very soft, with just a slight shell covering. The egg inside seems to be complete. The shells look bluish or bluish with gray. These eggs have the same thick membrane I find on my other quail eggs.

Otherwise, I get 2 more regular quail eggs most days of the week. My quail are just a few weeks into laying. Is this something with just starting out that will go away on its own, or is it something that I need to worry about?

I have had it happen twice now. I have them on

Homestead Harvest Non-GMO Turkey & Game Bird Starter 28%

and add to each feeding some hard boiled egg and/or some mealworms/beetles and/or some red wrigglers from my worm bin (never been outdoors). I also give them a mix of greens with each meal. But maybe I have some proportions off?

They have free access to both chick sized grit and parakeet sized oystershell, as well as fresh water. About once a week, I also give them a spoon of the chicken feed as a fermented mash, just because they don't seem to like their own feed as a fermented mash. I don't want it to be such a large amount that it keeps them from eating their game bird feed, but I really like what fermented mash does for my chickens.

They are in a 40 inch X 35 inch X 20 - 30 inch (slanting roof) hutch with a coated wire mesh floor.

I recommend switching to a layer crumble feed immediately.
They do not need that high of protein feed once they are full grown.

I feed my adult quail 16% layer crumble feed and I have perfect hard shells.

It can happen to just started layers, girls that are getting ready to quit laying, or sick birds. You said your girls are just now starting to lay, so I'd chalk it up to 'working out the kinks'. For peace of mind, you could offer them DARK leafy greens as a treat once a week or so, to boost their calcium intake; things like kale and spinach are usually easy to obtain and very high in calcium, without adding fat or excess calories to their diet.

Thank you both. Can the cock eat the layer feed as well?

I will be looking to add more leafy greens, though that is exactly the kind of leafy greens they have been getting. My kale is nearly gone in the garden, and the spinach and beet greens are, too (it's July!). But I started some Malabar spinach that might save the day, and have been eking things out with plantain leaves, dandelion leaves, and herbs while those get big enough to start harvesting.

Thank you both. Can the cock eat the layer feed as well?

I will be looking to add more leafy greens, though that is exactly the kind of leafy greens they have been getting. My kale is nearly gone in the garden, and the spinach and beet greens are, too (it's July!). But I started some Malabar spinach that might save the day, and have been eking things out with plantain leaves, dandelion leaves, and herbs while those get big enough to start harvesting.
I'd lay off on feeding a lot of extras. The commercially made poultry feed is a balanced diet.

I have 3 hens, and have not figured out who is laying these eggs. About once every 2 weeks I find an egg without the spots, and very soft, with just a slight shell covering. The egg inside seems to be complete. The shells look bluish or bluish with gray. These eggs have the same thick membrane I find on my other quail eggs.

Otherwise, I get 2 more regular quail eggs most days of the week. My quail are just a few weeks into laying. Is this something with just starting out that will go away on its own, or is it something that I need to worry about?

I have had it happen twice now. I have them on

Homestead Harvest Non-GMO Turkey & Game Bird Starter 28%

and add to each feeding some hard boiled egg and/or some mealworms/beetles and/or some red wrigglers from my worm bin (never been outdoors). I also give them a mix of greens with each meal. But maybe I have some proportions off?

They have free access to both chick sized grit and parakeet sized oystershell, as well as fresh water. About once a week, I also give them a spoon of the chicken feed as a fermented mash, just because they don't seem to like their own feed as a fermented mash. I don't want it to be such a large amount that it keeps them from eating their game bird feed, but I really like what fermented mash does for my chickens.

They are in a 40 inch X 35 inch X 20 - 30 inch (slanting roof) hutch with a coated wire mesh floor.
I have that happen frequently when my birds first start laying. When they first start laying eggs I switch them to a layer feed that has lower protein and higher calcium. Usually withing a few weeks, the eggs are normal like the rest of the eggs, sometimes it can take them a little longer. They need the higher calcium when they start laying. I give mine Purina Layena Crumble.

28% protein and egg/wormies is a lot for any bird to eat everyday, even a growing one. As the others said, use a layer feed even a chicken layer feed from 14% protein is fine and will have sufficient calcium to help create harder shells.

Try to cut the treats down, or offer less fatting ones such as plant leaves or things like cucumber (where they're mostly moisture the quail can enjoy them and not have their diet offset almost at all).

Back
Top Bottom