Coturnix Quail not laying eggs.

Get rid of a male add a few hours a day of artificial light. Two males is waaay too much for four hens. One male can keep 7 hens fertile and if kept with one or two will often kill or damage them badly. Keeping that many males in a small space is a stressor and stress is the number one reason quail quit laying.

One male per cage maximum. I'm surprised your males haven't killed each other. How much light do they have? They only lay if they think it is spring/summer, so if you want them to lay in winter you have to supply artificial light, 14 hours a day is good.

Thanks for everyone's response. I figured out the issue.

I had two males in the cage. There was no fighting as they seemed to get along. Once I removed the other male, POW.

They laid 4 eggs the very next day.

I had 23 coturnix in the same cage 13 males and 10 females. To many males obviously so I culled all but 2 males. Well before the culling I was getting 10 eggs a day for a week or so after the culling I only get 2 a day for weeks now. What's going on?

If nothing else changed - either you culled some of your females or they were stressed by the removal of the males, having to find a new pecking order and such. If they get sufficient lighting and a good feed, they should start laying again, assuming they are not too old.

I have 4 females and 2 males in one pen at the moment. I get 3 eggs a day from them and have no issues between the males, but I have had 15 hours of daylight (artificial) a day for months.

Back
Top Bottom