Coturnix Quail stopped laying eggs week 12?

they started laying again like crazy thanks everyone!
yesss.gif

Not bad, what 5-6 days off laying? I had to separate out three white hens from a production cage because everyone was picking on them and they took about 5 days off. Yesterday they each gave me an egg.

Now chickens are another story. I moved two hens about 6 weeks ago and they still haven't started laying again. (They better start soon or they will go to freezer camp.)

It seems cots do everything faster than chickens.

my quail egg laying to chicken egg laying is night and day i have had chickens stop laying for a month young hens to defiantly coturnix #1 for eggs chickens will win for meat

I changed my quail feed about 6 weeks ago and I haven't had any eggs for about a month. I only have 2 hens but I'm getting no eggs. The feed I'm using is 24% protein so its not much different from the 30% I was using before. They're eating like crazy but still no eggs. Anything else I can do?

I changed my quail feed about 6 weeks ago and I haven't had any eggs for about a month. I only have 2 hens but I'm getting no eggs. The feed I'm using is 24% protein so its not much different from the 30% I was using before. They're eating like crazy but still no eggs. Anything else I can do?

Where are you located? Your hens may be molting. Growing new feathers takes a lot of energy and bodily resources so egg laying will take a back seat to molting. If they are not molting look for causes of stress. It could be anything from moving birds close to them, trimming foliage, predators or perceived predators spooking them and indeed the change of feed may have done it. They may be eating like crazy trying to get the high protein levels they had in the old feed.

I'm in Az. I think you're right about the molting because I'm finding a lot of feathers in the pen. How long does that take? I changed the feed because 1 hen died trying to push out an egg that was too big. Thanks for the info.

Well the molting idea went out the window as my last 2 hens died after not laying eggs for about 2 months. They were both under a year old and I had them in a pen with gravel as a base. They ate and drank like crazy so I didn't expect anything to be wrong until they started dying. Would anyone know why I got these deaths? They showed no sign of disease. Thanks.

No, there were no other birds in the pen and just the female ones died. I still have 1 male and he's healthy. I wish I had an answer for this problem. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom