Coturnix quail with swollen red eye, possible infection?

sconez

Hatching
Nov 15, 2023
I have about 9 coturnix quail that we got in August that all live in a hutch together in our backyard. Today when my fiance and I opened the hutch to grab some eggs, we noticed this little lady's eye. It seems to me very obviously infected, though I don't see any puss or discharge. I'm wondering if it's possible that she just got something in her eye that irritated it and caused this to happen, or if someone who is more experienced can tell me if it looks more serious? So far we've bought saline solution, and found an antimicrobial eye wash at a pet store that we may try. We also have added a dash of apple cider vinegar to their waterer - not assuming it will cure anything, but just for extra healthy benefits.

tempImageNpRA9L.jpg

Welcome To BYC

What does the inside of her beak look like, are there any lesions or smelly pasty white or yellow material in the beak?

The swelling of the eye to me looks like there's pus. I would flush the eye with saline, work on getting it open, see if there's any injury (peck marks/scabs), debris (feather, piece of food, etc.) or pus in the eye that needs to be pressed out/removed. Pus will be very firm and it will take pressure to push it out and you may need to do this in stages to give her breaks and reduce stress.

Terramycin eye ointment can be found in feed stores like TSC (you may need to ask for it or it's locked in the medication cabinets, it's small tube) or you can order it online. This is what I'd use in the eye. If you can't find that, then Original Neosporin can be put into the eye.

Have you added new birds recently? Hard to know what's causing the problem - could be respiratory illness, injury or ?

Keep her eating/drinking the best you can. She may do better separated from her buddies if they are picking at her, sometimes they can be mean, but other times separation can be stressful, so use your judgement on that situation.

Welcome To BYC

What does the inside of her beak look like, are there any lesions or smelly pasty white or yellow material in the beak?

The swelling of the eye to me looks like there's pus. I would flush the eye with saline, work on getting it open, see if there's any injury (peck marks/scabs), debris (feather, piece of food, etc.) or pus in the eye that needs to be pressed out/removed. Pus will be very firm and it will take pressure to push it out and you may need to do this in stages to give her breaks and reduce stress.

Terramycin eye ointment can be found in feed stores like TSC (you may need to ask for it or it's locked in the medication cabinets, it's small tube) or you can order it online. This is what I'd use in the eye. If you can't find that, then Original Neosporin can be put into the eye.

Have you added new birds recently? Hard to know what's causing the problem - could be respiratory illness, injury or ?

Keep her eating/drinking the best you can. She may do better separated from her buddies if they are picking at her, sometimes they can be mean, but other times separation can be stressful, so use your judgement on that situation.
Thank you so much for your response, I am Sconz's partner in crime, we've separated her and she is still eating and drinking but quite lethargic. When you say push it out, do you mean from around the eye cavity? (attempting to firmly but gently pressing the cheek area upwards towards the eye cavity?

I have about 9 coturnix quail that we got in August that all live in a hutch together in our backyard. Today when my fiance and I opened the hutch to grab some eggs, we noticed this little lady's eye. It seems to me very obviously infected, though I don't see any puss or discharge. I'm wondering if it's possible that she just got something in her eye that irritated it and caused this to happen, or if someone who is more experienced can tell me if it looks more serious? So far we've bought saline solution, and found an antimicrobial eye wash at a pet store that we may try. We also have added a dash of apple cider vinegar to their waterer - not assuming it will cure anything, but just for extra healthy benefits.

View attachment 3684512
something similar to that happened to my hen. i'd suggest using VetRX and corid as that what i used to help mine. its likely a sinus infection

Thank you so much for your response, I am Sconz's partner in crime, we've separated her and she is still eating and drinking but quite lethargic. When you say push it out, do you mean from around the eye cavity? (attempting to firmly but gently pressing the cheek area upwards towards the eye cavity?
Yes, push firmly up toward the eye.
something similar to that happened to my hen. i'd suggest using VetRX and corid as that what i used to help mine. its likely a sinus infection
VetRx is just a remedy of oils similar to Vicks Vapor Rub so possibly it may help relieve minor symptoms for a few hours.
Corid is a Coccidiostat, used to treat Coccidiosis. Corid is not an antibiotic and will not treat any type of infection, sinus or not.

o
Yes, push firmly up toward the eye.

VetRx is just a remedy of oils similar to Vicks Vapor Rub so possibly it may help relieve minor symptoms for a few hours.
Corid is a Coccidiostat, used to treat Coccidiosis. Corid is not an antibiotic and will not treat any type of infection, sinus or not.
h sorry i meant something other than corid... i will go find the name hold on a sec...

Back
Top Bottom