Coturnix quail with swollen red eye, possible infection?

Yes, push firmly up toward the eye.

VetRx is just a remedy of oils similar to Vicks Vapor Rub so possibly it may help relieve minor symptoms for a few hours.
Corid is a Coccidiostat, used to treat Coccidiosis. Corid is not an antibiotic and will not treat any type of infection, sinus or not.
Thank you so much for your response. We have been trying in short little bursts each day to push out the mass. we were able to get out some more liquid looking puss. But we're having a hard time squeezing the harder mass out. We will try again tomorrow and I will be a bit firmer.
We've had a bad string on animal health lick recently.
Another of our quail got attacked by a hawk from the bottom of our raised hutch.

I have about 9 coturnix quail that we got in August that all live in a hutch together in our backyard. Today when my fiance and I opened the hutch to grab some eggs, we noticed this little lady's eye. It seems to me very obviously infected, though I don't see any puss or discharge. I'm wondering if it's possible that she just got something in her eye that irritated it and caused this to happen, or if someone who is more experienced can tell me if it looks more serious? So far we've bought saline solution, and found an antimicrobial eye wash at a pet store that we may try. We also have added a dash of apple cider vinegar to their waterer - not assuming it will cure anything, but just for extra healthy benefits.

View attachment 3684512
I have several cases of this. Been asking how to treat this. Have you found any antibiotics treat this? Have you learned the nameof this ?

I have several cases of this. Been asking how to treat this. Have you found any antibiotics treat this? Have you learned the nameof this ?
Welcome To BYC
The Original Posters have not been on in a while.
Do you have photos of your Quail?

There are various infections that can affect Quail, a couple of more common one's are Mycoplasma, Quail Bronchitis and Infectious Bronchitis.

Cleaning the eyes well and removing pus can be helpful. Terramycin in the eyes, but sometimes an antibiotic is necessary in addition to treating the eyes.
Tylan/Tylosin is usually the treatment of choice. Antibiotics are getting harder to source, so you may have to order and wait or get on a waiting list.
If you have a vet that will give you a script that's a good idea too.
Quail are so small, it's hard to work on them sometimes.
The pus will not dry up on it's own, so keep working on trying to press it out.

She may benefit from an antibiotic like Tylosin to help with infection as well.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-generic

The swelling of the eye to me looks like there's pus. I would flush the eye with saline, work on getting it open, see if there's any injury (peck marks/scabs), debris (feather, piece of food, etc.) or pus in the eye that needs to be pressed out/removed. Pus will be very firm and it will take pressure to push it out and you may need to do this in stages to give her breaks and reduce stress.

Terramycin eye ointment can be found in feed stores like TSC (you may need to ask for it or it's locked in the medication cabinets, it's small tube) or you can order it online. This is what I'd use in the eye. If you can't find that, then Original Neosporin can be put into the eye.

Back
Top Bottom